Fly Tying

Other flies being better all depends on situations! I fish in 6" to 3feet of water and my redfish and snook feed on mullet and oysters and since ive never seen an oyster fly lol I try to imitate mullet sort of, my sea deucer are always red/white and my (wooly bugger variant) is a big white bugger with white schlappen and polar chenille a marabou and hackle tail, I then lay it on paper and color the top schlappen grey. Its pretty deadly as it just hangs up in the water column in front of their face. Out fishes my ep baitfish 2/1

As far as closers I like the light and high tied. Better with fur than deer tail but now were in a variant again

Don't fish saltwater as I'm a mountain stream type person. Anyone ever try a large WB for SW fishing? Curious. Might try to tie a clouser or two just for the fun of it.

Don't fish saltwater as I'm a mountain stream type person. Anyone ever try a large WB for SW fishing? Curious. Might try to tie a clouser or two just for the fun of it.

If you are steam fishing and you want to tie Clousers then I suggest something lighter than brass dumbell eyes for the eyes. I have some plastic ones for instance or else try bead chain eyes.

If you are steam fishing and you want to tie Clousers then I suggest something lighter than brass dumbell eyes for the eyes. I have some plastic ones for instance or else try bead chain eyes.

Yeah, clouser's are not really stream patterns... At least I don't think they are.

They work in streams. Remember it was developed to catch smallies in the Susquehanna River. I just use smaller versions with just enough weight to insure it rides point up. For those of you that were in the salt water Clouser swap. That's about the heaviest I use when I tie them. Won't knock you out if it hits you on the back of the head. If I have to get it down deep in SW, I just fish it off a sinking line.

They work in streams. Remember it was developed to catch smallies in the Susquehanna River. I just use smaller versions with just enough weight to insure it rides point up. For those of you that were in the salt water Clouser swap. That's about the heaviest I use when I tie them. Won't knock you out if it hits you on the back of the head. If I have to get it down deep in SW, I just fish it off a sinking line.

The most common line here and around Cape Cod for salt water is an intermediate line. So like you I did not overly weight my clousers when I used them but I still never cared for them much.

Yeah, clouser's are not really stream patterns... At least I don't think they are.

It ain't a Muddler for sure ! But if it's going to be the worlds most versatile fly pattern it should work in a stream I would think. LOL. Stream fishing is pretty common.

It ain't a Muddler for sure ! But if it's going to be the worlds most versatile fly pattern it should work in a stream I would think. LOL. Stream fishing is pretty common.

Just the same, deep water big game fishing is pretty common to the saltwater fisherman and the WB can't do that. You are thinking like a trout fisherman, I'm thinking like an all around everything fisherman... Can it fish streams, yes. Is it good for streams? No.. Haha. Same, can the WB fish deep sea? Sure, is it good at it... Probably not.

All the fish a WB can catch, also a Clouser can catch. But Clouser's catch fish that WB probably cannot.

Again it comes to what you describe as versatile. Most fish species caught with it, most forage imitations, or most types of water applications. I think they are close contenders.

Can it fish streams, yes. Is it good for streams? No.. .

Why no ?

There's nothing like admitting you could be wrong ... And that's nothing like it lol

I fish bucktails in streams a fair amount with good success. I don't like the looks of the Clouser personally as compared to a more traditional or classic tie. But a poster mentioned tying some up for fun and he is a stream fisherman. Now I would think if the eyes are kept light weight and the pattern/color combo kept to something that is known to work in the stream , then the Clouser should work too. I want to know why not ? The OP who apparently loves the Clouser says no. Why ?

It's decent for streams but there is always something that works better. Eg, muddler, bugger, exc... Same thing as why the WB is not great for most saltwater applications. Can it work yes, is it the best choice... Nope. Just saying...

Btw, thanks everyone for joining in and commenting on the post. I sure love these debates. I love seeing everyone's opinions.