Fly Tying
Piker20

silicone curly tails on flies.

Has anyone tried adding silicone tails to their streamers?

Does anyone make their own from the lure silicone kits? Is a plain C shape all you need or do better template shapes work?

I have tried a small straight silicone tail.Sort of a worm fly with a hackle head and bead chain eyes.I have not tried a curly tail.Thought of it but i was afraid it would cause the fly to spin and twist up the leader.

Not sure the curly tail will cause too much spin. A stouter leader should help any issues.

I am very interested in trying this for pike fishing. Ive been looking to purchase them in Canada but cant seam to find any source. And dont really want to buy from the states at the moment due to our crappy dollar. So if there is a good way at making them i would love to give it a try. Ever since watching Niklaus Bauer fish with his wiggle tail flys, i have been keen to try them.

That video is what prompted me. Here in UK you can buy knockoff bulldawg lures cheap which you could melt down for the rubber and obviously they have a tail pre made too. A simple C mold should be very easy to make.

I might buy a bottle of the base material and see how it turns out. Id be able to use the worms and shads on my spinning outfit so wouldn't be losing out.

Our tackle stores sell replacement sili skirts that can be used as a source for sili legs. See if your tackle stores sell them. You could use some of the strands for your tails.

I've used purple curved tails (not sure if they were silicone) for LMB flies. worked great.

eric

fresno, ca.

How crafty do you want to get, Piker? I was thinking about this and here's my thoughts:

1) Get some tubes of silicone sealer.

2) Get some glitter in the colors you want.

3) Mix sealer and glitter in a cup, then spread it out on wax paper.

4) After it sets up, cut out your desired shape. Yes, I think a basic, tapered "C" shape will work fine. If you look at twirl tail grub bodies in the package, that's all they are.

I have used curly tail grubs for years on rivers with smallmouth and trout.

This was shown to me by a friend who used spinning rods with grubs and embarrassed me with his catch rate compared to conventional flies.

They easily catch more fish vs. conventional flies 4:1 most days.

Mustad 3366 hook,,, tie in a small pc. of 30# mono on the shank for a barb,,, pointing towards the hook eye.

This holds the grub onto the hook when casting and fishing the rig.

You can also pinch on a small split shot near the hook eye,,, superglue,,,, and you have a fly hook with jig action.

Thread on the grub,,,, fantastic action in the water,,, easily casts with 6wt or 7wt rod.

I am using a fly rod with fly line and feel it is fly fishing.

Silicone skirts,,, search Scott Howell, a west coast Steelhead guide who developed flies with skirts of mylar and silicone.

Prom dress fly and Squidro fly,,, these are very effective in rivers.

Regards,

FK

Mike, it was throwing out some old nozzles from silicone sealer that got me thinking again on it.

I'll have a play around

Here's a one that I tied up using curly tails..They're similar to the one on the site Kudu posted. Need to add a few more to my box before late spring.

It's tied with spinner bait skirt layer, the sili legs they sell in fly shops

post-309-0-01525600-1456967634_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple tied with spinner bait skirts.

post-309-0-94222300-1456967994_thumb.jpg post-309-0-32587800-1456968014_thumb.jpg

I've got some larger curly tails that will go nicely with this style.

I've tried using curly tails from the a grub, but have never had success in getting them tied onto the hook. Too soft to be wrapped down on the hook. I guess I'm in the Mike school. If I'm going to use a plastic grub I'll use a spinning rod. I guess it's the difference between gluing and tying. What's the bible say "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone." Definitely can't throw the first stone.