Fly Tying

Tenkara....

Fly fishing goes back to ancient Greece, 3,000 years ago, when someone discovered you can catch fish by tying some feathers to a bronze hook. Go to youtube and search for Tenkara. There is even a video of the legendary Joann Wulff fishing with a Tenkara outfit. She even tried a double haul. I fish Tenkara-style on small streams. I have a 6 ft. 2 wt.- fish with just the leader and tippet. I make a slight overhand flip due to overhanging trees. Tenkara uses the single rod with the line tied to the end and a wet fly. Line is just a bit longer than the rod to make landing the fish easier than handling a lot of line. How many of us have tried to land a fish on a fly rod with 30 feet of line out? Either let the line float or reel like crazy! Like anything, people will try it.

Fred Arbogast found that bass will hit a piece of wood when he tossed a chunk of wood into a mill pond. This started the thinking gears working. He put a hook on a piece of wood and the rest is history. Next, he invented the bass boat, trolling motor, and depth finder. biggrin.png

There is even a video of the legendary Joann Wulff fishing with a Tenkara outfit. She even tried a double haul.

Double haul? Not with a tenkara setup, she didn't

I have a Tenkara rod and used it some situations. I have a pond that I go to that has trees right down to the edge. Easier for me to cast the tenkara rod than a regular rod. For most manufactures my opinion might not count as I am a warmwater fisherman.

Before anyone gripes about that look at see how much stuff is listed as warmwater.

Rick

If someone wants to do it, that's fine, it's totally their business, but just like religion, don't try to convert me. And I have yet to see anyone make a valid objective argument in defense of tenkara without resorting to tradition or mysticim or personal bias...there's just no advantage to it that is not also enjoyed as much or more with a standard fly rod, reel, & line.

I wouldn't be interested in offering a valid objective argument for any form of fishing. For me the fact that I enjoy it is enough. Is personal enjoyment what you mean by "personal bias"? I don't look forward to a day when I need to justify the rational behind why I am fishing a given way be it streamers or popper or dries or spey or tenkara. Why should anything beyond personal enjoyment matter? Can the advantage be enjoyment? No mysticism involved. What's that famous quote, "I fish because I love to"? Why should we need to justify or offer "valid objective arguments in defense" or worry about "tradeoff advantages" for the ways we want to fish?

I'm sure some try to "convert" others to tenkara. Happens with dries and with other ways of fishing. Leave the evangelists to themselves. Lets just fish. The OP using the word "retard" as an insult bothers me far more than how someone chooses to fish on a given day.

Most of the people I've spoke with personally who do it seem unable/unwilling to accept the fact that, for any fishing situation, a conventional fly rod is a better (or at very least, equal) choice than the tenkara rod, and further attempt to paint fishing with it as something more than it actually is.

Hell, if you want to tie garden twine to the end of a stick, that's great if it makes you happy, but don't act like your stick is in any way a better tool for the task than even the most basic of fly rods. So yeah, I don't feel the least bit bad, or wrong, when I say that a fly rod is a superior fishing tool compared to tenkara in every way. But such a statement always seems to stir up some form of counter-argument.

Most of the people I've spoke with personally who do it seem unable/unwilling to accept the fact that, for any fishing situation, a conventional fly rod is a better (or at very least, equal) choice than the tenkara rod, and further attempt to paint fishing with it as something more than it actually is.

I've fished with a western fly rod for over 30 years. I fish a lot of small canyons where I'm casting into small pockets surrounded by swirling current. To get a decent drift, I often need to hold all the fly line and most of the leader off the water. The best method that I've found is sometimes described as "high stick dry fly", where I'm only casting the leader. This works a bit with my 9 foot flyrod, but casting is clumsy and not accurate. Distance is very limited.

This style is exactly what Tenkara is designed for. The light 12 foot rod and very light line is designed to hold the line off the water, but gives me plenty of reach for canyon fishing. I can reach more water than high sticking. Even with the ultra light line, Tenkara rods cast very accurately into small targets.

Although I didn't start Tenkara for fishing slick water and slow currents, I've stumbled onto another advantage. Tenkara lines are lighter than 0 weight flylines, so I can easily present a fly with virtually no line splash. This works great in the winter for very low water situations and spooky trout.

So there's two fishing situations where I'll use Tenkara over conventional.

Not saying this is for everybody, but it works for this body.

A well-stated and appealing perspective there, Mr. Bruce.

"and very light line is designed to hold the line off the water"

What is it about a Tenkara line that helps hold it 'off' the water?

... hold it 'off' the water?

Wrong terminology. ... "hold it UP off the water" would be more accurate. Perhaps more understandable if written, "... the long rod and light line allow one to hold the line up ... keeping it off the water."

A well-stated and appealing perspective there, Mr. Bruce.

"and very light line is designed to hold the line off the water"

What is it about a Tenkara line that helps hold it 'off' the water?

Tenkara lines are light, so they don't sag as much as heavier lines. The Tenkara line I use the most is called a 2.5 level line made of fluorocarbon which is close to 1x tippet or 8 lb fluoro in diameter. Unlike fly line which sags to the water surface during a drift, I can hold a 14' Tenkara line up off the surface with the help of a 12' rod.

... hold it 'off' the water?

Wrong terminology. ... "hold it UP off the water" would be more accurate. Perhaps more understandable if written, "... the long rod and light line allow one to hold the line up ... keeping it off the water."

that's exactly what I meant, Mike. Thanks