Fly Tying
Permitcapt

Mullet flies for Everglades

WFN had a kayak fishing show this morning that took place in the Everglades. Hope you saw it.

Something to keep in mind that most may not know... Bendback style flies don't hook tarpon well at all.... Matter of fact when Chico Fernandez wrote the first article about his bendback patterns he specifically noted that they don't work at all for tarpon (something about the shape of their mouths... ) so you'll want to make sure you have a few bugs on straight hooks for any silver you encounter... Trout in the 'Glades will pretty much eat anything in front of them (ask me how I know) -the main trick is finding a good number of fish holding in a spot or situation where you can work them properly on fly... That's what I do for my anglers whenever we make a point of adding specks to the target list (this time of year we're mostly working big tarpon). Hope you have a great trip!

Thank you for your advice and don't worry Bob, I have jumped a lot of poons in the lower Keys and in the Shark River area of the Glades, and I never used a bend-back style hook for them. They do have a unique mouth. I have used Gamagatsu SC15 hooks almost exclusively for about 13 years now. Sorry I won't get to see you on the Flamingo ramp this year.

Cool, seems like every angler I ever meet thinks tarpon first when headed to the 'Glades... last week we found good numbers of big fish laid up in Whitewater - and every one of them had lockjaw.... Finally, after two days of tossing flies we had a great day in small rivers - jumping 8 fish from 70 up to well over 100lbs.. -but not on fly, we were using bait and lures. This week the water temps dropped after a quick cold front and every big tarpon just disappeared... I ran over 90 miles yesterday looking for warm water and never found it. I talked to Rob Fordyce at the ramp and he had the same results (but was a lot smarter and didn't run the miles I did....). Back on the water tomorrow for another three days, with the first day on the fly again. Hoping for better results...

Good luck Capt. Have a mate staying over your way, fishing for poons for about a month or so... been seeing some reasonable fish. Not sure where they are fishing though.

they are a bucket list species for sure.... our foot-long models just aren't quite the same :)

Thanks for the good wishes mate! North Queensland!!!! I sold my last Thoroughbred stallion to a big farm in Queensland. I had hoped to accompany the stallion there and stop-off in Kiribati to fish Christmas Island on the way back. Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer that week. That was 20 years ago.