Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies from the vise

giphy.gif

what really matters is that people post some flies

so gene how about posting some?

spelling and grammar not subject to debate smile.png

Who, me? Post some flies I've tied? For what purpose. No, thanks, after you've dealt dismissively with some better tiers than I. Anyway, I don't have the skills or equipment to photograph flies, however poorly they're tied. I'll accept your judgement rather than subject myself to your ridicule.

Grammar is the last resort of the scoundrel. Enough said.

Head-on Humpy

IMG_8595_zps12e88345.jpg

IMG_8598_zpse3e99346.jpg

For selective trout in conflicting currents; they won't know if it's coming or going.

hook - Mustad 9672 #10
thread - UTC 140 black
tail/feelers - moose body hair
overbody - 2mm foam tan
body - peacock herl
rib - x-fine wire gold
legs - medium rubber brown
wing post - Congo Hair white
hackle - brown

Regards,

Scott

Been experimenting with quills lately smile.png

Great look on the bodies of both of the flies!

Regards,

Kimo

an old colorado pattern and one that i learned to tie in a fly tying class in the 80's

this one has a little twist. the hackle is wrapped onto an orange thread body coated with a uv resin (brand is irrelevant) and cured after the hackle is wrapped forward

hook: dry fly

thread: hot orange (try different colors)

hackle: grizzly

That's a great way to improve this fly. I'm excited because I just ordered my first UV resin, and I'll definitely tie some UV Ashers.

Interesting fly. Very effective, was once well-known in Colorado, but never gained widespread fame.

Looks like and fishes like La Fontaine's Buzzball, another good fly that never spread much beyond Montana, although it's building popularity recently. SBPatt has an SBS of his variation:

http://redboatmarkchronicles.blogspot.com/2015/01/lafontaines-buzzball-step-by-step-guide.html

Buzzball

Buzzballs%2BWM.jpg

... I will say that I never really worked it over moving water much. Was more of a calm water fly for me. Small lakes and beaver ponds and the like. It can be a little hard to see on Arkansas or Lower Rio Grand. For me at least. ...

It works great on rivers! You are right, it is really hard to see in riffles, but the fish see it and hammer it. Same problem with Griffith's Gnat and Buzzball. I'll probably add an orange post to make a high vis version. Doing that a lot lately.

The largest rainbow that I've caught on a dry fly took an Orange Asher in a steep canyon. I couldn't see the fly, but I couldn't miss that big head sucking down my fly.

Orange Ashers have migrated to an obscure spot in my flybox. This thread has inspired me to tie some and fish them.