Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies from the vise

ohmy.png I really like that wet profile picture, Cream!

It's dead sexy in the water. Can't wait to get it in front of some stream bass if the monsoon season here ever ends. My local flows don't handle rain well.

Is that just a belly scratcher with a fish mask and flash tied on the back of the zonker? That is super sick. I might have to steal that flash ass idea.

Is that just a belly scratcher with a fish mask and flash tied on the back of the zonker? That is super sick. I might have to steal that flash ass idea.

Not really but sort of. I have done these bellies for a while now. They look great, perfectly keel the fly with little weight added, but take some time. Most of my generation is too impatient for the process. The belly is translucent pearl craft beads on mono/tippet material (so similar to belly scratcher style but with virtually no weight), coated heavily in Liquid Fusion. I coat it heavy because it shrinks as it dries. It produces a lifelike looking translucent belly, and like i said, just enough weight to keel the fly but keep it light weight. I also hit the beads on some (like the one in the wet pic) with a Sharpie before the LF to add translucent color. The catch...I let the bodies/glue run on a drying wheel for about 2 hours then sit a while longer to be sure the glue is cured. For the collar, I use a material clamp (I use a Petitjean, a bulldog clip can also work) to clamp together rabbit strip and fine flash like Angel Hair. Clamp it, cut off the hide strip and excess flash, then throw it in a dubbing loop. It blends the fur and flash together without the bulk of the hide strip. Then top it with a mask after a hot throat patch of either rabbit fur or arctic fox.

Great idea. I thought they were plastic beads when I saw the pic and was curious if it would be enough to keep it upside-down....great stuff dude. I love the Petitjean loop stuff too. I use that all the time on craws.

SNOW%20amp%20ICE%20WING%20X%20CADDIS%20G

UV2 SNOW & ICE WING X CADDIS, Gray – Matthews/Variant – TMC 900BL, #16 – #20…

PRISM%20PUPA%20TAN-ISH%20GRP_zpsmgx32fwl

PRISM PUPAE…

PT/TB

Cream ... did you ... sneeze ... onto the back of that fly?

Looks like a great crawdad, but that snot on it's back is hard to look at.

Hot melt glue for a shellback. Snot melt glue?

I'm glad someone said its a crawdad because I was trying to figure why the baitfish had a red headed d, oh never mind. Well anyway, I see the pattern now, kind of like it.

GLOSSOSOMA%20DIVING%20CADDIS%20FINAL_zps

GLOSSOSOMA DIVING CADDIS – Matthews/Variant – TMC 2487, #18…

SNOW%20amp%20ICE%20WING%20X%20CADDIS%20G

UV2 SNOW & ICE WING X CADDIS, Gray…

PT/TB