Fly Tying
Brodrash

Critique my flies

Here are some of my recent flies, i would be grateful for some advice!

post-59105-0-00675800-1463765338_thumb.jpg

post-59105-0-33665700-1463765362_thumb.jpg

post-59105-0-63532100-1463765375_thumb.jpg

post-59105-0-59030600-1463765389_thumb.jpg

These are all great flies, but clean your heads up a lil.

I dont want to critique the flies to much because I am not an expert like the other people on This forum. My first bunch of flies looked alot worse then that.

Keep tying practice hard and this will be ome a amazing hobby you will love forever.

For fishing ... there's nothing wrong with any of your flies.

For display ... well, for that, we'd need to know if you were following a pattern, and what pattern that is. Since your flies don't look enough like any particular "known" fly, it's harder to say if you're doing anything incorrectly.

The first is a wooly bugger, the second a bully spider, third is just a made up wet fly, and the fourth is a wooly bugger with legs and dumbbell eyes

The first woolly bugger, the tail should be the no longer than the hook shank, the hackle should be 1 1/2 the width of the hook gap and should start at the back of the body which should start at the the bend of the hook. The eye should be about the size of the hooks eye.

I think the bully spider's head may be a bit to large, when I tie them I use silly legs which are smaller and flatter than the round rubber legs. Legs look like they are tied in as the pattern calls for. Nice base by the way.

The fly that you designed should have a tail the length of the hook shank and be tied on top of the hook. The abdomen should be 2/3's of the length of the hooks shank and normally carrot shaped, thorax should cover the front 1/3 stopping before the hook eye, hackle again should 1 1/2 the width of the hooks gap.

I don't remember if the woolly bugger pattern is weighted or not if it does then lead wire or equivalent would be called out and be wrapped around the hooks shank. May want to stay away from big eyed buggers.

I'm by no means an expert tier but I do OK. I have found that if you stick to one pattern and pay close attention to proportions and detail and tie that pattern until everyone comes out looking exactly the same before moving on to something else you will become a much better tier. If you use the general guidelines for the abdomen 2/3 the hook shank and the thorax 1/3 the hook shank you will have most fly bodies covered.

Hope this helps a little.

Know the proportions of the flies you want to tie, learn to tie the fly the right way then as the Most Interesting Man in the World would say, practice, practice, practice. As Retocarp also said, let the fish decide, your flies don't need to be prefect to catch fish.

Nothing wrong with that fat spider, the second one. I mean, let's face it, it has a bass hanging on it!!

If you tied the last bugger with the eyes with the hook upside down to start, its going to make the marabou much harder to tie in, and maybe get a bit smoother heads, but they are looking good so far. If they catch fish then at the end of the day thats good. But if you are looking to improve, just be EXTREMELY self critical.

If they catch fish who cares what they look like. If you are going to try to sell them, or display them just check your proportions, and invest in some commercial made eyes for the dumbells. I was told to limit the amount of thread used to hold the materials in place Two wraps . and with pratice you'll get better on the heads. keep going and good luck.