Fly Tying
Digitalis

Help with Vise Selection.

Renzetti is a good vise, it will serve you well. Me, I use a Griffin Montana and have been pleased.

The reason I went with the Griffin? All of my fly tying buddies at the time were tying on the Renzetti and I wanted to be different. I do things like that from time to time.

It comes this month Retro, none in the country! Then both vises can start making Swiss/Japanese puppies!:-)

Would that make them Marc 3 Tiemcos lol

I just bought a peak rotary and it is such and upgrade. The screw that controls the rotary tension is plastic but i don't see it becoming a problem, its smooth and holds a hook really tight.

I've had a montana mongoose for a few months now and I love it. I was looking at it and the other three you mentioned, but ultimately went with this one after trying them all. There is a fly shop on ebay that sells the mongoose for $185 with no tax and free shipping, so it gets it right in the range of the others. Plus the mongoose comes with a few accessories and both bases.

I'd definitely tie a few flies on each if you can, then go from there. Good luck!

I just bought a peak rotary and it is such and upgrade. The screw that controls the rotary tension is plastic but i don't see it becoming a problem, its smooth and holds a hook really tight.

I went from a Renzetti Traveler to a Peak. Both are good but the Peak is sturdier.

That's great then, thanks. So is there a consensus of which model is best overall then?

Yep ... the consensus is:

The best vise, period, is the one you're tying on at the time.

$20.00 "Supreme" kept me stocked with fishing flies for more than 2 decades.

That's great then, thanks. So is there a consensus of which model is best overall then?

There is no best, just best for your purpose. My original Thompson vise was very good, well made and was awesome for mid sized hooks for all my streamer flies and woolly buggers but when I needed to start tying smaller dry flies and midge emergers, I found the inexpensive Indian vise to work fine for me . I've tried out a lot of different models since and just keep tying on this one, I tie from size 24 to 1/0 and could change out the jaws if I wanted to go larger than that ( it came with three jaw sets).. But many many vises with more quality than mine will tie from size 24 to 1/0, I'm just too cheap to spend the money for one ( it would help if I could really truly make up my mind which one as well !). Meanwhile 20 years and counting on this vise, it owes me nothing. For the $30 or so I paid for it, if it broke in two tomorrow it would be like oh well. But it's not going to do that. And the vise fits in my main tying case, not all vises will. So there you go, a cheap vise has suited me for 20 years so far.

The other extreme is buy a Stonfo Transformer for $600 and who knows how much for each add on accessory. And tie the same flies I do now ! It's about wants vs needs and about best at what ?

I ever own the Renzetti Traveler , the only problem is every 8 month I have to replace the rubber 'O' ring which is expensive in my country. one the day adjustment metal screw broke. I replaced it and sold it off. then I got an Apex Atlas. it take a cow strength to

clamp the hook. I sold it off. Now I am using the Renzetti Master limited edition. It is a beautiful vise. it can clamp all the way to size 7/0. I don't need to buy another jaw and there is no rubber 'O' ring to replace. the only issue is it is expensive. But I am going to use it for rest of my life. Now I am looking at Renzetti Apprentice as my travel vise. But there is a china copy which is selling for US$48 including shipping. any suggestion?