Fly Tying

From California, to New York, to England, the wooly bugger is probably one of the most effective and popular streamer patterns that can be used for a large range of fish species. I even know of people using them for saltwater fishing as well as freshwater. Its also fairly easy to tie, and quite durable. The grizzly/white version is great for imitating many baitfish. Being a bead head fly, it will sink and get down deep to the fish.

Hook: Daiichi 1750 size 10 (any 3x-4x long shanked streamer hook will do)
Weight: .015 lead wire, and a bead head.
Thread: white 70 denier thread.
Body: White chenille, and grizzly saddle hackle.
Tail: Pearl krystal flash and white marabou
Music: funnysong, ukulele - Bensound.com

That's the prettiest booger I remember ever seeing. Never knew how they looked underwater. Cool!

That's the prettiest booger I remember ever seeing. Never knew how they looked underwater. Cool!

Really? Thanks! I appreciate the nice comment.

Funny, I've never put that color combo together sticking with the olives, browns and black like most but I will now. Nice vid and though there's various ways to tie them your method is easy and popular with many of us.

Funny, I've never put that color combo together sticking with the olives, browns and black like most but I will now. Nice vid and though there's various ways to tie them your method is easy and popular with many of us.

Yeah there are many ways of tying a bugger, but I find this one to be one of the more durable ways. It does take a bit longer, however I think it makes a nicer looking fly, and also keeps it from unraveling after 1-2 fish.

Awesome fly! If I was a freshwater angler I would definitely tie these! Awesome underwater footage btw!

Awesome fly! If I was a freshwater angler I would definitely tie these! Awesome underwater footage btw!

I have friends that Have called many saltwater species on this fly... It works really good in the surf to mimic the small little baitfish...

What it still be the same size or bigger?

All sizes, the problem is that the 4x long streamer hooks hooks aren't saltwater recommended, so they rust after a few uses.. I like tying small for surf fish, so I usually use a size 6-10 anyway.

So an all white would imitate a glass minnow?

Among other baitfish. Try other colors as well. I do like white a lot for baitfish imitation though. Its very visible in not so clear water. Sometimes the surf can be a bit mucky. Of course you are in Florida, which doesn't have huge waves, the beaches are more clear. Out in CA where I used to fish for calico bass, sand bass, corvina, surf perch, and even striper, these white colors worked awesome. The big waves kicked up a lot of muck, and you needed something visible.