Fly Tying

Unfortunately it's the internet, and that's how it works full moon, new moon, and everything in between.

Also, I think the guy was plenty nice. He said that he liked your videos, and he didn't make any personal attacks. His argument was factual, and then he left it for you to read into (good, bad, or indifferent). In regards to civility, I have been of forums that are a LOT worse than this one, and fortunately users can either choose to stick around or leave. I haven't really witnessed anything that crossed the line on this forum, and it's why I rarely participate in many other forums anymore. They are either waaaaaay over moderated, or they just let anything fly. Personally I prefer Facebook groups and Instagram to share flies and info...

But the original posting, I said my opinion and I wasn't offended. Aren't I allowed to say why I tied it that way? Or should I just say "oh your right" every time? I really wasn't upset the first posting, I was upset when people after started coming down on me. I even said (sorry for being kinda defensive) right after responding. ???

SMH.... Keep on keeping on brother.

Sorry, what is SMH? I am not good with this internet lingo...

McFly, next time you do a video, follow the variant strategy, plus explain why you felt the need to create such variant. That is an addition to the conversation that anyone would welcome and it would preempt quite a bit of the purist outrage.

Just an idea.

Ok so I changed all my "defensive" comments to how you guys think I should have responded. Thank you for bringing my defensiveness to my attention, and helping me realize that I have tied a fly that wasn't even close to the original. smile.png

I know that I am not very good at tying flies, and I appologise for my lack of knowledge and understanding. I hope you guys could forgive me for making a video about a fly that is not very good.

Oh brother. Pity parties aren't going to get you anywhere man. SMH -> http://bfy.tw/5xxL

Again, just posting an opinion, but if you are making a video to show a specific fly, I feel that is should be tied as it was originally or deviations should be noted and explained. The originators have reasons they use the materials they do to make the fly behave a certain way. This is part of the reason Tightlines Productions are my go to source for videos. I'd rather learn to tie the actual pattern and then make changes myself after mastering it than think I'm learning something I'm not.

A little tough professional criticism - I stopped watching your videos a while ago for a number of reasons, including things you are displaying on this thread. There are times when I'm not completely sure you know about the flies you put up. Then, when someone questions what was done it seems to be taken overly personally. Criticism is hard to take, especially if it seems too personal or unwarranted. No one likes handling criticism but everyone controls how they respond to it and how they carry themselves. Even your biggest critiques on here could turn into allies if you handle critique well. We are all passionate about tying and many are connected to big fishing/conservation organizations or are on social media where your product could be shared. Just something to remember as you continue to build your site.

I see someone has hurt McFlyLures feelings, again.

This is why I blocked his posts ... his backlash against valid critiques just weren't worth reading.

Unfortunately, it doesn't block the threads. I like having a clear "forums" board, with no highlighted forums, so I have to open the threads and see what everyone else is saying.

Mike, if you don't remember, the first comment you ever said about my videos is that, you think beards are discussing and they repulse you. And that I should loose the beard before you could watch my videos. In fact, that was on the first video I ever posted. Now, would you call that "constructive criticism". Or could that just be someone being a jerk? I mean, I personally take that as a personal attack. Anyone else think that sounds like a personal attack?

Ok so I changed all my "defensive" comments to how you guys think I should have responded. Thank you for bringing my defensiveness to my attention, and helping me realize that I have tied a fly that wasn't even close to the original. smile.png

I know that I am not very good at tying flies, and I appologise for my lack of knowledge and understanding. I hope you guys could forgive me for making a video about a fly that is not very good.

Oh brother. Pity parties aren't going to get you anywhere man. SMH -> http://bfy.tw/5xxL

Not a pitty party, I'm legitimately appologising. Seriously, that was sincere... See this is the problem with messages like this, people put their own tone of voice onto the post. It's too easy to misunderstand someone's intention. Especially with my posts, I'm not too great at communicating. Never was. Always got bad grades in English class. Excelled though at math!

Again, just posting an opinion, but if you are making a video to show a specific fly, I feel that is should be tied as it was originally or deviations should be noted and explained. The originators have reasons they use the materials they do to make the fly behave a certain way. This is part of the reason Tightlines Productions are my go to source for videos. I'd rather learn to tie the actual pattern and then make changes myself after mastering it than think I'm learning something I'm not.

Yeah I get that. Good note and recommendation, I will state on my vids from now on that the fly could originally have been tied differently. I'll also make sure and state "variation" in the description.

Yeah I get that. Good note and recommendation, I will state on my vids from now on that the fly could originally have been tied differently. I'll also make sure and state "variation" in the description.

Nice looking deceiver and although it may not have been tied the same way Mr. Kreh ties the fly and it may be missing a few feathers, IMO, It still looks like a deceiver and from your underwater footage I would say it acts like a deceiver so I would say it is a deceiver. If we get over technical about how flies are tied, we can lose some of the enjoyment we find from tying flies. So, I will say it again, Nice Deceiver and video. Your videos are very professional and informational. I myself have done a few videos and can say that they are not easy to do and I respect anybody who is willing to share what they have learned through videos.

Nice looking deceiver and although it may not have been tied the same way Mr. Kreh ties the fly and it may be missing a few feathers, IMO, It still looks like a deceiver and from your underwater footage I would say it acts like a deceiver so I would say it is a deceiver. If we get over technical about how flies are tied, we can lose some of the enjoyment we find from tying flies. So, I will say it again, Nice Deceiver and video. Your videos are very professional and informational. I myself have done a few videos and can say that they are not easy to do and I respect anybody who is willing to share what they have learned through videos.

Well said!

I am sorry for tying this in a way that bothers so many of you.

I have Lefty's book "Fly Fishing in Salt Water" and there are pictures of Deceiver variants tied in all sorts of ways. Don't be sorry. Lefty does however, and IN MY OPINION rightfully so, say that a "LEFTY'S DECEIVER" is correct, not just "DECEIVER". DECEIVER maybe can be anything along the basic design criteria... LEFTY'S DECEIVER is being respectful to the master and developer. To my knowledge Bob Clouser has never publicly said the same thing about the Clouser Deep Minnow. I'm certainly not an authority on it though. As great as the Lefty's Deceiver is, Lefty himself brought the Clouser Deep Minnow to public attention and calls it the most widely effective fly pattern ever developed. The Deceiver was developed specifically for striped bass fishing in the Chesapeake Bay back in the days when men knew how to fight fish without $1000 unobtanium-disc jet fighter brakes for drags on their fly reels.

I'm going to try to not care so much about what people call things. It will still bug me, but I am trying to just not be loud about it biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I am sorry for tying this in a way that bothers so many of you.

I have Lefty's book "Fly Fishing in Salt Water" and there are pictures of Deceiver variants tied in all sorts of ways. Don't be sorry. Lefty does however, and IN MY OPINION rightfully so, say that a "LEFTY'S DECEIVER" is correct, not just "DECEIVER".

I'm going to try to not care so much about what people call things. It will still bug me, but I am trying to just not be loud about it :D :D :D

So, left'y says that his way is correct? All others aren't? Like you can never tie a deceiver variant, only lefty's version? Sorry maybe I misunderstood what your saying that the book says.

Nice looking "Lefty's Deceiver" and although it may not have been tied the same way Mr. Kreh ties the fly and it may be missing a few feathers, IMO, It still looks like a "Lefty's Deceiver" and from your underwater footage I would say it acts like a "Lefty's Deceiver" so I would say it is a "Lefty's Deceiver". If we get over technical about how flies are tied, we can lose some of the enjoyment we find from tying flies. So, I will say it again, Nice "Lefty's Deceiver" and video. Your videos are very professional and informational. I myself have done a few videos and can say that they are not easy to do and I respect anybody who is willing to share what they have learned through videos.