Fly Tying

I was tying at a conclave once and I always keep my sicsorrs in my hand while tying, guy came up to introduce himself & shake my hand and I stabbed him pretty badly. Sicsorrs went in about 3/4"

Stuck my fingers many times with the hook tying

Buried a 6/0 hook in the back of head fishing for shark with a 12wt & lead core line...that hurt

We were like 40 miles off shore and they weren't going back for me....they Duct taped it down to my head and I went to the hospital about 3am

Sunk the hook around 8am

Not tying but fishing on a fly out north of the arctic circle. $700.00 USD in the pot to catch a lake trout, inconnu, whitefish. Lake trout was easy, inconnu was supposed to be the toughest and I was the only one to catch one. Got so excited my glasses fell into the river - I'm blind without my glasses and my spares were back at camp. On to whitefish and they were jumping everywhere at the mouth of the river - easy stuff - just tie on a #16 or smaller caddis. Remember can't see anymore, and do you think any of my buddies would help me? I didn't catch a white fish - everyone caught a whitefish but no one won the bet. Nothing hurt but my pride.

I spilled some drops of head cement on my wife's antique table once. I caught a bad case of spousal whoopass for that!!

One night I was tying something using superglue and I guess a drop or 2 landed on the inside of my left arm. I went to bed shortly after that. I slept on my left side and rolled over during the night. I about tore my nipple off and it was glued to my arm. Good thing I was asleep, wouldn't want to face that awake.

No blood, just pain and redness. I couldn't have done that again if I tried, and believe me I won't.

So don't let the superglue tear your t*t off!

Stupid Bob

Takes a real man to even admit this .

I bet your arm nipple is quite the conversation piece -- probably worth a few beers down at the local knife and gun club.

Rocco

Didn't happen to me but to one of my buddies while teaching a class.

The first thing he tells you to do while teaching is crush the barb. He didn't. Since he ties on a Renzetti he wanted to show off some benefits of a true rotary vise. So he turns the hook over and adds some material. No one had a clue something was wrong until he asked for some help.

Ya know that little piece of skin between your index finger and thumb? He ran the barb of the hook all the way through. So not only did he have the embarrassment and the pain of his mishap. He also had the weight of the vise to content with.

They got the hook out of the vise, crushed the barb and backed the hook out. He put a Band-Aid on it and finished the class.

lmao how did you swallow zap-a-gap flats? I was looking for something more hardcore, poopdeck, but I'll take it. Needless to say I cringed many times reading all of these stories

The most painful ... two incidents come to mind.

Neither is really "Fly Tying", except I was sitting down to start some flies. I'd left the skewer I use to make foam bodies ...

attachicon.gif04.JPG

... in a (small, regular style) vise on my bench. As I swung my hand around, I buried about 3 inches of that skewer in my left wrist. It went under the skin, not straight through, so I wasn't worried about arteries or anything. The most painful part was pulling it back out.

The second was less "injury" but more pain. Setting up my tying vise, and dropping it. I landed, stem first, centered on the nail of my big toe. The impact cracked the nail and I ended up losing the nail about two weeks later.

Fishing related ... getting bait fish, to go after bass with a brother-n-law in Yuma, Arizona. I was picking up some shad off the ground as he threw the cast net. He'd miss judged the distance, and it felt like every weight on the net hit my head. The welts started about the middle of my head and continued down to just above the ear. Counted about 15 welts ... weights hitting as I tried to get out of the way.

Funny, now ... VERY painful at the time.

This made me contemplate quitting fishing and every aspect of it