Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BostonTroutGuy

Tips for re-using hooks?

Howdy--

As a newbie tyer, I end up tying a lot of flies that for one reason or another aren't fish-able (hook eye covered, proportions wildly off, etc.). I am wondering if anyone has any tips for the most efficient way to strip off the materials on these flies so I can reuse the hooks? I have been sawing off the materials and thread with a razor blade, which is actually a bit time consuming. That may well be the only option but I thought I'd see whether there are any secrets out there...

Thanks!

Agreed ... razor blade, exacto knife with a good blade, utility knife with a good blade. I emphasize "good" blade, because I've seen way too many people trying to use bladed tools that are way past their useful edge.

You can also fish many of those flies you THINK are unfishable. The fish are far less "discerning" than we are, and what looks messy or unfit to us will often catch more fish than the "perfect" ties.

I use single edge razor blades, that gives the back of the blade support as opposed to double edged blades. Or you could use an inexpensive box cutter, which holds single edged razor blades and that gives you a cheap handle for the blade ( the replaceable blade type vs disposable)..

I'm so lazy that I save them in a jar for when I break out my lead pot once a year to pour jigs. Then I just dunk them in hot lead and burn them off. As far as I know it doesn't effect the strength of the hook.

One of the gentleman that taught my fly tying classes didn't fish but loved to tie. He would take the flies he didn't like or no longer wanted and cut the materials off with a razor blade. He would then hold the hook with needle nose pliers and run them across a lit candle to burn off any remaining material.

As the last guy said. I have what i call my zippo pile. When it gets large enough i break out a scalpel and run it down the center then i use hemostats to hold them over a candle. I use to use a Bic lighter...The chuckles were annoying enough to make me start calling it the zippo pile instead.