Fly Tying
zip

JS Tool issue

When kevlar thread was the new thing, ceramic was supposed to stand to it.

They said kevlar could wear out and cut the metal tubes in regular bobbins.

Also protects finer threads from minimal imperfections in the regular metal bobbins, which would cut them. Allegedly.

Unlike other members, I've never had a ceramic bobbin cut a thread. But I did have a metal tube cut thread every time I used it. For a long time, I just figured I was doing something wrong. Turns out it was a nick in the metal.

Ceramic tubes are not necessary, but they can be easier on the thread.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/js-tools-stainless-bobbin#!reviews-wrap

Like I said;I love J Stockard,but this thing needs some work.I'm also aware that they do not make their line of tools.

I have one bobbin I always use.A friend gave it to me 15+ years ago,and a friend gave it to him some 40+ years before that.I'm not even sure of the brand.It did have an engraved piece on the brass,but it is completely gone now!

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/js-tools-stainless-bobbin#!reviews-wrap

Like I said;I love J Stockard,but this thing needs some work.I'm also aware that they do not make their line of tools.

I have one bobbin I always use.A friend gave it to me 15+ years ago,and a friend gave it to him some 40+ years before that.I'm not even sure of the brand.It did have an engraved piece on the brass,but it is completely gone now!

Engraved or stamped? Initials "F M" perhaps? A steel bobbin lasting that long sounds like a Matarelli, but I didn't think he offered those until the mid '70s.

It's stampedefinitely,but it'seems longer than FM

It may be another make then. But FM bobbins came in standard and long tube versions,...plus a "material" bobbin that was a hair longer than the long tube.

Properly made, ceramic reduces wear on the thread, reducing breakage. Most of my bobbins are ceramic, and I prefer the Griffin style with ball feet.

In the last 20 years, I've gotten a couple of bobbins that cut thread. Two of them, that weren't ceramic, I use to spool lead wire. The other one I sent back and got a replacement that does work correctly.

I use the Griffin bobbins - If you're not sending them back I thought there was a thread on here somewhere about smoothing out burrs on ceremic tubes, I've even seen someone in a local club glued a glass bead to the top of the bobbin and never had another problem.