Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

2 year bonsai tree progression

Yeah didn't plan on trying those. Some species I just can't have here in Michigan unless they are very hardy, or tropicals that can come inside under lights during winter months. I tried a crepe myrtle which is one that is "iffy" at best up this way, didn't make it past the first year.

Mimosa trees are invasive here and I cut them down but man they sure are pretty in bloom.

Unfortunately the best guess i can give you on this rock is that it came from , Cambodia, Thailand or possibly South Korea...Yeah i know they are very different. I got this from a very intense instructor of USA Olympic TaeKwonDo. The man who gave me that rock....Why he said it was from Hawaii? I cant understand.

Ok Steve I googled and your right they make awesome bonsai. Never knew. Their shoots come up sharp and can puncture tires if hit in the sidewalls. It's the reason people keep them off their farms here. I dozed out about 10 or 20 last year when I was clearing out a cattle field. Anyway I have always had a fondness for them because they are so different than anything else here in southern Kentucky. The da... Thistles I'm trying to keep out are another story! Lol. Hope you had a good summer!

Steve, The mosses are angiosperms...They don't flower...Normally. One of the mosses in that rock creates a ??? I can't remember what it is called. But it looks like a miniature white flower. When you get to see it you will understand my amazement of this. It just shouldn't happen but does on very rare occasions.

I have a side question. I know that bonsai prunning scissors have big handles. Are they a tool that could be used as tying scissors or are they generally too coarse?

There are scissors used by some for pruning Bonsai, and sure, those would work for fly tying.

However, Bonsai pruning shears are not actually "scissors".

They are "side cutters" ... like wire cutters ... but very sharp.

But unlike wire cutters, pruning shears don't have any relief on the side, so they cut a clean divot where the branch used to be.

I use side cutters and concave cutters like Mike just showed for most my main bonsai trimming. Then for smaller trimming/pruning work I use some Fiskers cutters that I picked up at Walmart for $7. There are some other bonsai cutters out there, so real high dollar items too, but I think most the bonsai stuff would be a bit too large and not as effective for fly tying as normal good quality tying scissors.

I think I have the same Fiskars Steve mentioned at my tying desk for all purpose, and I like them a lot.

The reason why I was asking is that I am looking for something with the super fine point but the big eyes/handle that has enough size to feel right in my hand.

If you've got an actual Bonsai store near you, then check out the scissors. You might find what you want. But, like most exclusive hobbies, the tools specifically for that hobby are very expensive.

I've got a pair of Dr. Slick scissors that have large enough finger holes to be comfortable on my hand.

Bimini

Get some cheap shears or big iron scissors from Harbor Freight. Super sharp and cheap 2 bucks. I have them and like them. I'm sure they don't hold an edge all that long but for 2 bucks not too worried.