Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

2 year bonsai tree progression

Here's a neat little four pic progression of a bonsai I have been working on for the past two years. It was a tall house plant when I got it in the spring of 2014, so I trunk chopped it down to nothing. Then let it sprout and grow wild a bit over the past 2 years. Now just gave it its first hard prune today. Still has some years of growing & pruning to do but you can see the shape starting to take hold now. Nothing teaches patience quite like bonsai that's for sure.

SPRING 2015

bonsai%20002_zpsd1zxxg48.jpg

SUMMER 2015

ficus_zps8pn0d40z.jpg

SPRING 2016

misc%20002_zpsi73wcdzg.jpg

TODAY 2016 AFTER A HARD FIRST PRUNE

misc%20003_zpsxsegvprt.jpg

You definitely have the proverbial green thumb, Steve. I know it'll be Winter, and most of your trees will be dormant, but I can hardly wait to see them in person. I am really looking forward to the visit.

Um ... if you have a fishing game on X-Box, that's probably close enough.

But, it might be another of those warm Winters. One can always hope.

Hey Steve, Did the moss in that living rock ever bloom? It is the smallest most pure wight flower you can imagine...But it isn't actually a flower. I forgot what it really is.

Not yet Todd. There is some small areas of green coming in but nothing big enough to shoot any sort of flower yet.

Well here is another tree I have been working on lately. A Hinoki Cypress bonsai I have been working on for the past 2 years. First pic is when I bought it, very tall and one dimensional looking. 2nd pic is after it's first trim a year ago, still was not happy with it then. 3rd pic is today after a styling into a true Literati style. Much nicer looking now.

cypress1_zpshavdlzgm.jpg

Last year, still not happy with it at all...

cypress5_zpswpggfbjy.jpg

Today in a nicer Literati style.

cypress3_zpsnepywsll.jpg

"All things come to those that wait."

Bonsai is the ultimate teacher of patience. Personally, I no of no other undertaking that requires such a slow pace.

Turning out to be a beautifully shaped tree.

Just about any tree species can be Bonsai'd ... but trees that have small leaves make better Bonsai.

Mimosa are one of those species with perfect leaves for it. But the leaf "fronds" get large if insufficient sun is available.

They also are relatively quick growing ... reducing a little, the patience required.

They aren't cold tolerant, at all, so you might not want to try those, Steve.