Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TroutRuleBassDrool

Dry Flies and Wings

I've been tying up some Adams recently and tying in the wings is getting annoying. The hackle constantly pushes them down, and it often gets in the way, leading to a crowded head. I started leaving out the wings on patterns which use hackle tips. My question is this : will the absence of wings turn off fish? Would it be better to leave in the wings? Thanks in advance!

Boy I was just thinking the EXACT same thing, when I was tying some Adams up over the weekend.

What about a synthetic winging, like antron yarn in white or grey.

How important is it to split the wings? That is one of the hardest parts, especially when tying a pattern like a Royal Wulff with calf hair.

Would a parachute post wing with catskill style hackle be as effective?

Joe

How important is it to split the wings?

I don't mind dividing wings, I actually enjoy it, but I always wonder if it is neccessary. My reason to continue dividing them is it probably gives the fly balance, but I think the hackle probably accounts more for that when it is sitting on the waer.

i know many people that omit the split hackle wings on the smaller dries altogether and say that they haven't noticed any change in catch rates.

I've pretty much gone with the kip (calf) hair wings now, as they are easier for me, and don't require matching up hackle). On small dries, i wouldn't think it matters a lick if its there or not.

steve

I think wings catch more fishermen than fish.

If I were buying them, I would look for well tied wings. It would indicate the tier knows his stuff. But to tie them, I don't know that the fish would mind eating a wingless Adams.

I get frustrated with wings too, but all the pretty pictures of Adams have wings so I make a best effort to tie them on with mixed results. Sometimes I end up with an Adams with only one wing. I haven't fished one yet, but I think it will probably twist my leader. Likely I'll rip it off when nobody is looking.

ummm...why not do it right?

I don't think it's good practice to eliminate or omit something from a pattern because you find it troublesome or tedious to tie. you are better off keeping at it until you get it right. the fish may not care, but the discerning angler/tyer does.

mnsho...

mgj

You will fine the grizzly tips are a bit flimsy but if you have a cape use the pin feathers at the base of the cape the quill is sturdier

OSD.

I think it depends on the conditions, I do know that the wings are the first thing a trout sees in its window of sight.. as for the adams I use white poly for the wing and take a fine marker and put bars on it before dividing the wing seems to work as good as a tradional pattern..I started using poly for all my wings for 2 reasons, 1 its easier and its water proof......just my .02 thumbsup.gif

I think it depends on the water you fish. It makes a world of a difference on slow clear water and where there's a lot of pressure. On the San Juan river in New Mexico your dry ties need to be perfect. If there isn't a wing or the head is crowded, forget about fish. On the mountain streams where there isn't any pressure, they'll hit anything. I keep a (really big) box for my worse ties and save them for the mountains!

I believe on catskills tyes they are essential for balance and for the wind resistance they provide when casting. They help the fly land gently on the surface film. Flys with slate colored wings make a difference as I believe trout observe the contrast when on the hatch. Learn to tye them even if you have to substitute materials! biggrin.gif

A.A.

I think of them more of an art than to fish with honestly. You could probably catch the same number of fish without them as you would with them. Most people put em on there because it matches what the recipe calls for. Adams doesn't match a specific hatch.