Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowfin47

28th Annual North Toledo Bend Rendezvous-A Gathering of Tyers 11/4-6

The Gulf Coast & Texas Councils of the IFFF, annually co-sponsor the "North Toledo Bend Rendezvous". This is the best "hands on" gathering of fly tyers in the South!

Rendezvous is held the first weekend of November at North Toledo Bend State Park near Zwolle, LA (Nov. 4-6th). This will be the 28th Rendezvous (since 1989) of this gathering of fly tyers representing Federation clubs from Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi and beyond.

With no planned activities, but plenty of fly tying, food, fly casting instruction and fly fishing, and with only a minimal fee to cover lodging and meals, the North Toledo Bend Rendezvous remains one of the top tying events held each year in the U.S.A.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/w/Rendez/indexR.html

If you have never attended the North Toledo Bend Rendezvous or haven't been in a while, your are hereby invited to attend...

Hey, we haven't gathered on the shores of Toledo Bend and throwing this party for 28 years for nothing!!!

Rendezvous is a "hands-on" tying event, and is your chance to sit down and tie flies with some of the very best tyers in the Deep South! No matter if you are a beginner to tying or a master of this craft, you will learn a lot (or at least have fun tying with your friends &/or teaching others). We always have a great time!

This is a wonderful event that is appropriate for your whole family... So bring your tying buddies, "significant other", as well as your kids/grandkids!

And No - you do not have to be a member of the IFFF or a club to attend, but if you attend Rendezvous just once, you'll want to come back each year!

See you there!

PS

A few of the "regulars" expected include: Ron Braud (i.e. Stipple Popper), Fred Hannie, Marc Pinsel, Bill Heugel, Kyle Moppert, Don Lawler, Mike Jackson, Dirk Burton, Peter Allen, along with a number of other excellent tyers...

I've already paid for my cabin in the state park. I missed this last but that ain't going to happen this year. I've been told if you like to eat and tie this is the place to be. Can't wait!!!

Okay ... here's my situation.

I will be teaching a class in Houston the weeks before and after this event. I am seriously considering attending ... but I can't do many of the prerequisites.

I will be leaving from a hotel, not from home.

1) I can't bring a sleeping bag. It would take up too much space and weight in my luggage when I fly out to Houston.

2) If I leave the hotel for two nights, I will check out of there ... so I might not have towels with me either. I will have my shaving kit, but no towels. (depending on weight, I might be able to pack a towel from home)

3) It says there's no reservations ... so, how did you pay for cabin space, Add? I don't want to check out of the hotel, drive all the way up there, then find out this is the year it's filled up before I get there.

4) I'd be leaving Houston after the class finishes on Friday ... no way of knowing when it will finish, but there's a good chance I would arrive late Friday evening. I'll need someone's phone number so they can let me in if I get there after 10:00.

5) I can't prepare food in the hotel to bring with me. I'll need some info on what I can buy and bring, to do my part.

Do you guys know anything more about this event, pertaining to my above comments? Or should I contact Walter?

I will be teaching a class in Houston the weeks before and after this event. I am seriously considering attending ... but I can't do many of the prerequisites.

1) I can't bring a sleeping bag. It would take up too much space and weight in my luggage when I fly out to Houston.

2) If I leave the hotel for two nights, I will check out of there ... so I might not have towels with me either. I will have my shaving kit, but no towels. (depending on weight, I might be able to pack a towel from home)

3) It says there's no reservations ... so, how did you pay for cabin space, Add? I don't want to check out of the hotel, drive all the way up there, then find out this is the year it's filled up before I get there.

4) I'd be leaving Houston after the class finishes on Friday ... no way of knowing when it will finish, but there's a good chance I would arrive late Friday evening. I'll need someone's phone number so they can let me in if I get there after 10:00.

5) I can't prepare food in the hotel to bring with me. I'll need some info on what I can buy and bring, to do my part.

Do you guys know anything more about this event, pertaining to my above comments? Or should I contact Walter?

Mike:

If you stay in the group cabin, you can pay Walter after you arrive. In my experience, there have never been a shortage of beds in the group cabins. . . one for snorers and one for not. . . couples, etc.

Phone connectivity is better than it used to be but can be iffy. Someone could text you the code so you'd have it available when needed. People will be in the main group hall probably until after midnight and can direct you to which cabin is available for you to "sack out" in. Word or warning, don't walk down the middle of a dark cabin, there are a couple of posts to the peak of the ceiling. I nearly knocked myself out my first time!

We can in all probability arrange for a spare sleeping bag and towel.

Thank you,

Okay, so that settles the, "If I go I WILL have a place to stay question." I am least worried about a towel ... dollar tree sells them, but something to keep warm in at night will be a requirement. If someone can provide that, I'm in.

I am one of those who embraces the digital world, but not on my cell phone. It's just a phone, no text. If I leave Houston at 4 to 5 o'clock, I should be at the park by 8:30 to 9:30, traffic dependent. So that might not be a problem either.

I guess I'll need to contact Walter to see what food stuffs I can buy to help with the "feedings".

Thank you,

Okay, so that settles the, "If I go I WILL have a place to stay question." I am least worried about a towel ... dollar tree sells them, but something to keep warm in at night will be a requirement. If someone can provide that, I'm in.

I am one of those who embraces the digital world, but not on my cell phone. It's just a phone, no text. If I leave Houston at 4 to 5 o'clock, I should be at the park by 8:30 to 9:30, traffic dependent. So that might not be a problem either.

I guess I'll need to contact Walter to see what food stuffs I can buy to help with the "feedings".

People begin to arrive midday Friday. Calling you the gate code before you leave Houston 4-5 shouldn't be a problem.

Contacting Walter is a good idea. You might be able to just help pay for something Walter brings and not have to worry about a grocery stop. Walter would know.

Mikechell,

1. The lodge, shower house, and cabins are all heated... But as I understand your situation, I'll be glad to loan/bring ya' a sleeping bag. Not a problem...

2. If ya' can't bring a towel, I'll bring ya' one. It will come from my wive's "old towel" stack, but then, so will the one that I bring! Heck, I might even bring ya' a wash cloth! Hey, I'm a nice guy! Ha!

3. No need for reservations... There will be space.. Never been a problem, and like Ron stated, we all pay Walter (cash or check) upon arriving. By the way, Rendezvous is a gathering of friends that is held as a "break-even" event. No individual, nor any organization, makes any money from this event, and therefore, the cost is minimal... Probably about $50 for two nights room and board! Believe me, the food alone is a bargain at that price!

4. Walter will have the gate code. Be sure to get it from Walter or from the Park, as it is about a one mile walk, in the dark, from the gate to the lodge, and phone reception at the lodge is not very good!

5. The lodge has a great commercial kitchen complete with pots, pans, large commercial refrigerator/freezer, ice machine, and stove. So stop along the way at a grocery store and pick up some veggies (as typically we have piles of meats), or grab anything that you like (but not breakfast items, as eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes, and usually a number of other items are always in ample supply)... If your food items need to be cooked, you can cook them. Actually, people will be in the kitchen cooking most of the time...

You are not expected to feed the whole crowd, just a reasonable "cover dish" size. We have never had a single time when everyone didn't go away regretting how much they ate!

Please "Message" me, and I'll send ya' my contact info. Then we can talk about any of the above.

Glad you're coming.

You're gunna' have great time!

Tight lines,

Kyle

Bowfin47

PS

There is always hot coffee and a table full of deserts... But if you desire anything else to drink, other than water or iced tea, you will need to bring it.

Kyle.

I'll shoot you a PM ... but you've covered all the questions I had. The sleeping bag is all I'll need. Never hurts to have an extra towel, so I'll be buying one of those when I get to Houston.

Thank you, so much, for the information.

I am looking forward to the weekend!

Mike

Whoo hooo ... looks like the weekend weather will be pretty good for this Rendezvous !!!

I hope people don't mind if I spend some time fly fishing rather than fly tying.

Looks like I'm not getting out of work until later this afternoon, so I'm hoping to be drifting into the park no later than 9:00 to 9:30.

First, two apologies: 1) I didn't get most of the names. Sorry, folks, I am just terrible at remembering names. 2) Many of the pictures came out too blurry to use.

I'll be posting pictures of the flies I was given, as soon as I get some taken.

Some of the people from the meet. These pictures weren't TOO bad, and I remember the names.

add147 (Adam) and his Dad. Dad's the one with the beard.

Fred Hannie was there, and gave me a fantastic, realistic Grass Shrimp that he just finished tying. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good picture of him. He's the one in motion on the rocker. Sorry guys, I don't remember the names of the other two.

Greg Sanders was tying these neat, black Bluegill flies.

Walter McLendon (Rendezvous organizer) is at the far end ... Kyle Moppert (bowfin47) is nearest to me. Again, didn't get the name of the man in the middle. Fly picture (and explanation) from Kyle later.

Warren Landry ... holding the fly he gave me (really, he is). I'll be posting the fly later.

I look forward to this event each year.

My attendance this year was cursed not to happen.

What was to have prevented my attendance changed this past week.

Then I did something to aggravate the tendonitis in my left foot and was stuck in the bed.

I am having some sort of issue with this thread.

It won't let me add anymore pictures. If it doesn't clear up, I'll start another thread on this same topic for the rest of the pictures.

Mike,

It was wonderful to meet you and that you were able to join us!

I hope that you will be able to come back next next year for the 29th "Rendezvous" (Nov. 3-5, 2017) and that didn't gain too much weight! HA!

Kyle