Fly Tying
McFlyLures

I lost a monster trout. Such a frustrating day on the river.

I have made eight rods from AR. I have one bad blank. Returned it and was pleased with what I received in return. My first one was a kit my wife bought me for Christmas years ago. The price was $129 for everything. I have since changed out the reel seat, but still fish the rod. I had no experience building or wrapping rods. The guy at AR told me to call Jim Mills from Raven Fork Rods. The man is a master craftsman. He took many of my calls and emails.

Your opinion of glass rods is very out of touch. I have an Orvis Superfine that is extremely light and sensitive.

Might want to broaden your horizons. http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/

Ok thank you guys, I'll look at some new glass stuff, I meant no harm, just from what my experience was. I am the first to admit when I'm wrong, and apparently I am. I'll check out a few glass rods, just having trouble finding any over 8'..

Very nice video, I did watch your video awhile back, where you built the rod you were using in this video,and I liked that video too.

Yes, there is a guy that did something like 19 or 21 parts in series on building a fly rod, it can be found on the internet. But McFly covered most of it in his shorter version anyway. The other video, in series, covers it in more detail of course and gets into the why of the steps used.

But agreed, McFly, for your first build that rod came out nice, better than my first was. Now I'm into trim colors and such, my first build was probably 20 years ago, if not longer. For my next build, I intend on building a 9 or 10 ft - 3/4 wt. It's a size I don't have. I'll probably be doing that late this winter or early spring. I like to build myself a new rod around March first or so !

Very nice video, I did watch your video awhile back, where you built the rod you were using in this video,and I liked that video too.

Thank you!

Yes, there is a guy that did something like 19 or 21 parts in series on building a fly rod, it can be found on the internet. But McFly covered most of it in his shorter version anyway. The other video, in series, covers it in more detail of course and gets into the why of the steps used.

But agreed, McFly, for your first build that rod came out nice, better than my first was. Now I'm into trim colors and such, my first build was probably 20 years ago, if not longer. For my next build, I intend on building a 9 or 10 ft - 3/4 wt. It's a size I don't have. I'll probably be doing that late this winter or early spring. I like to build myself a new rod around March first or so !

Let me know what blank your using, and where you got it. I'm looking for a 10' 3wt as well.

Let me know what blank your using, and where you got it. I'm looking for a 10' 3wt as well.

I'll PM you .

When fishing for big fish with really small flies on bigger water not much can beat bamboo or fiberglass. If bamboo is out of the question, fiberglass today is not like your dad's fiberglass. Many are not "noodley" and are more progressive like "fast" bamboo. You could build a really good rod for well under $300 bucks. Heck, for $150 you'd build a really good one too.

I built a nice fiberglass rod for my oldest son for about $120 bucks 10 years ago. That same rod would maybe be about $160 today...maybe.

I know it's obvious but the advantage to a "softer" rod with oomph to it is that you'll get a good cushion and give to fight the fish but also the backbone to land it.