Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Fly Challenge #3

With all the talk of clousers in the warm water fourm this one is for you guys.

Heres the fly for the new challenge guys. Its a very nice Clouser tied by John Ridderbos.

Lets see what you guys can come up with.

user posted image

There is a fly developed by Clouser and Kreh, I think, called the Half and Half. The rear of the fly is like a Lefty's Deceiver, with feathers, and the front is like a Clouser Minnow, with bucktail and lead eyes. See an example at this site:

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/deepdeceiver.html

Best-

Stack Scoville

OK here is mine. I wanted to try something that I have done with a Clouser before and I thought it came out nice. Instead of white bucktail for the belly I used arctic fox which should give the fly alot more action in the water. Also instead of wrapping the fox down the hook, I tied it off behind the eyes. I used pearl diamond braid and wrapped it from the bend to just behind the eyes, this gives the fly a little sparkle in the mid section. To finish the fly I used Olive bucktail and topped that with 4 strands of peacock herl.

Sorry again for the bad pic. I have a blown bulb in one of my lamps I normally use so I'm stuck using the reserves. wallbash.gif

user posted image

Here's my Baby Bass Clouser. The bent hook is shamelessly derivative of some British sea trout streamers. I tied off bucktail at several points in the shank for the fuzzy belly. Because of the bent hook, the fly has a tall profile, just like a baby bass smile.gif

p.s. the picture is at a slant kinda

post-2-1109304024.jpg

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 24 2005, 11:05 PM)
What side of the shank is your lead eyes on?

The eyes are on 'top' i.e. other side from the point like a regular clouser. It's nestled in the inner bend where I bent the shank.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 24 2005, 08:55 PM)
OK here is mine. I wanted to try something that I have done with a Clouser before and I thought it came out nice. Instead of white bucktail for the belly I used arctic fox which should give the fly alot more action in the water. Also instead of wrapping the fox down the hook, I tied it off behind the eyes. I used pearl diamond braid and wrapped it from the bend to just behind the eyes, this gives the fly a little sparkle in the mid section. To finish the fly I used Olive bucktail and topped that with 4 strands of peacock herl.

Oh, I like it. The Peacock Herl is a very nice touch. I will have to try that once.

And by the way, you really have to stop appologizing for pictures that are better than any I have ever posted.

Ken S.

fishyfranky,

I believe your clouser has been tied upside down, in the water your "belly" is going to ride on top. dunno.gif

Ken, I love using peacock herl in almost any fly that I tie and always find an excuse to put it somewhere. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 24 2005, 09:55 PM)

Sorry again for the bad pic. I have a blown bulb in one of my lamps I normally use so I'm stuck using the reserves. wallbash.gif

user posted image

Took my peacock idea. though its not mine I was gonna tie one with it. tongue.gif O well, personally I think the peacock gives a nice bass color scales, with the shine, nice looking flie Smallie.