Fly Tying
elkcrazy

Carrying Dries

Hey all, great site. I'm tying a bunch of dries right now and I've always heard to carry them in containers that have open compartments, versus ripple foam. What does everyone else use to carry their dries on the water with?

QUOTE (elkcrazy @ Feb 25 2005, 12:58 PM)
Hey all, great site. I'm tying a bunch of dries right now and I've always heard to carry them in containers that have open compartments, versus ripple foam. What does everyone else use to carry their dries on the water with?

I use this style of flyboxC&F

Though I do use open compartments for large dries.

Oh, these are the inserts I have:

Inserts

I like them because the hook doesn't rip up the foam like ripple foam boxes.

I found the link to a posting I had put up many months ago. We had a discussion then about fly boxes. That posting includes links to the Scientific Anglers fly box offerings. In that posting, I talked about their waterproof fly box being on my wish list. I have since gotten one of those boxes and I thnk it is wonderful. I think you will find it meets your needs nicely for carrying dry flies.

At a fly show earlier this month I saw "Cliffs Bugger Barn". I bought one of these and have moved most of my woolly buggers, clousers and other streamers over to this box. It uses microslit foam similar to the stuff used in the Scientific Anglers streamer box, but it is bigger and the slits run the full length of the box. I can no carry most everything I need with just these two boxes.

I am a Smallmouth fisherman primarily, so I use a lot more clousers, buggers and streamers than I do dries or nymphs. Flies for panfish and crappies fill out the rest of the SA Waterproof box.

Ken S.

P.S. I did not check the links in the linked posting. If any of them don't work, I would be happy to find the updated links and post them.

I guess my biggest problem is that I just want to carry way too many flies with me. For just my dry flies I have something like 50 different type/size combinations. The ripple foam boxes allow more flies to be carried, but they crush the hackles, so I guess I'll either have to cut back or carry more boxes. I have an old box like the Feathercraft box, and it's really nice, it's just that I need 4 of them. So I guess the real question is how do you carry 300 dry flies laugh.gif in a compact package?

My dry box is a wheatly that has ripple foam but its a pretty deep design, it does a good job of not crushing the hackle or wings because of its depth.works good for mr I'll get it out and take a pic of it later for ya.

I carry my dries in several styles of boxes. The cheap plastic ones with open compartments are my preferred style, as I want to protect the hackles. I tend to put too many in each compartment, so when I want just one I get a few (a problem in the wind).

elkcrazy,

I too carry alot of flies but Ive come to realize I probably only use about a dozen or so on each outing.

So with that Feather-Craft box Ive divided it into 2 boxes, 1 for Mayflies and the other for Caddis.

But I also have backup boxes just in case!!! biggrin.gif

I split them up. I carry my terestrials, parachutes and spinner patterns in Wheatley ripple foam boxes and all my duns and large parachutes(#10) or larger go in my boxes with the individual compartments. Except for my Hex's. All my hex flies go in a Wheatley steelhead box. Nice and deep with the plastic nubs for hook holders. As long as it's well organized the winds and hackle are all well protected.

I new use open boxes the foam boxes crush the hackles. Open boxes take up more room but I dont have to worry about my flies or take time to try to fix them on the river.