Fly Tying
Poopdeck

A stroke of genius, I think

Any alloy that has iron in it, is capable of retaining magnetism. Other materials are capable of it, too. Theories of how magnetism works abound. But one thing is clear ... once something has been magnetized, it will not "lose" that magnetism. It can be De-magnetized ... with heat, impacts or intentionally Degaussing.

Magnets that can be "turned off" ... electro-magnets ... require a laminated core. If you want me to explain any of that further, I'd be happy to.

I love electric, fuel and mechanical discussions !!! Which is why I love my job !!!

Mike, you should produce an electromagnetic tying vise with which your hooks would jump off your tying surface into the jaws by themselves.

Just don't call it the DefyingLAWs of Gravity or we will have to call the product disparagement police;)

Okay I'm going to leave the scissors on the strip till tomorrow and see what happens. This will be as scientific as I get. Standby for full magnetic report.

Just one problem with scissors. If they are high chrome stainless steel, they are not very magnetically "active" anyway. If the magnet holds them securely, then the test will be accurate. If the magnet barely holds them, then they are not good magnetic material to begin with.

i don't know anything about magnetization either but if you're worried about or don't want your tools to be magnetized you could pick up a magnetizer/demagnetizer tool from amazon for about $5

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-360-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer/dp/B00004T7UQ

but that just adds another step to the tying process and may not be worth it to have the magnetic strip to begin with if you don't want anything to become magnetized. i know i have an old school magnetizer or demagnetizer i got from my ex-gf's dad, don't remember which now that i googled for a demagnetizer tool and i see that you can buy a magnetizer for cheap. i was told once that a magnetizer tool was very expensive and required lots of heat. gonna look for that tool i have tomorrow now, which i'm thinking is a demag. i think i remember it had to be plugged in

either way, thanks for the tip about the hf magnetic strip. never thought to get that free item for my tying desk. i like the free screwdriver set to use the flat-heads as prying tools when the occasion arises and that's all that will work. or when i'm working in nasty areas and i don't want my good tools to get junk all over them.

i really like the cheap scissors they sell for the tying desk. they're only a dollar and sharp enough for the things you don't wanna use your good scissors on. i have a couple pairs of those lying around from when i wanted one of the free tools and i had to buy something to get it. its one of if not the cheapest thing they sell there. good tip for anybody looking to get the free magnetic strip and don't want or need anything else from there and have to buy something to get it

This is a "magnetizer" ...

magnetize.jpg

Anything that responds to magnets can, in turn, be magnetized. Just take a battery and touch the leads to the ends of a wire wrapped around the metal.

"Removing" the magnetism requires a bit more. A degausser is a more complicated tool and can be quite expensive. There's no easy way to completely demagnetize something.

Heat it to a red hot temperature until it loses it's magnetization. Google Knife blade hardening, and you can watch videos of just how hot it needs to be.

Beat it with a hammer. I believe you have to strike it hard enough to dent the metal. I know of engine charging systems that have been ruined by someone trying to "hammer" a fly wheel off, and demagnetizing the magnets.

Nice find Poopdeck, and I like my scissors magnetized as they stay in my hand and pick up the next hook from the bench, that may sound trivial to the younger tiers but it works well for middle aged, big fingered tiers. :^))

Okay my scientific study is halfway complete. I have to say science is awesome and I learned something. Today is going to be a great day! I did not notice any magnatizing of my tools while tying but I guess they were but didn't notice because they did not come into any contact with metal small enough to be picked up. I left the scissors on the magnet all night and they sure are magnetized. I would not say they are strong magnets but they are magnetized. Now I'm gonna keep my scissors off the strip and see if it maintains its magnitizing strength. I'm really liking science right now. This could spin off into something life changing like a cure for cancer or something all because I needed a small tarp for a late winter snow storm.

CP indeed this is an added benefit. I had a small magnet glued to a stick, that I can never find, to pull my hooks from the hook storage case I use. I can now toss that and pull them out with my scissors.

I would think some folks may like their scissors magnetized and others may not. Different strokes eh?? Just all depends on how each of us use scissors.

Also Poopdeck - I think time in contact with a magnet, strength of the magnet, etc... may have an influence on how 'magnetized' something will become. The longer in contact with a magnet - the more magnetized the object may become.

Maybe Mike can comment on this.

BCT

So I kept the scissors off the magnet for a day and they did in fact lose their magnetized strength. They got to the point where they could not grab a size 18 hook out of the bin. I slapped it on the magnet for a split second and went back to my hook box and they grabbed the hook again. It seems that as they are used they must transfer some of their strength to the object picked up.

They're stainless ... just not high chromium stainless. The higher the chromium content, the less reactive to magnetism.

Your's are right at the level where they react, but don't retain.

Good test, Poopdeck.