Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
islander727

Faux Bucktail?

Maybe, like a lot of synthetic material, it's eventual worth won't be as a buck tail replacement.

I am thinking of things like bug legs, where the taper is very preferable, and the material is probably more durable at the tip than any natural material.

You never know just what fly tiers will come up with, right?

Real genuine buck tail,,,,,, STINKS.

Smells bad,,, I had two coyotes keep me awake last night,,, they must have smelled the buck tails in my fly tying supply.

Regards,

FK

... I just don't see what the problem is that they're trying to solve with this stuff.

That's pretty funny, Peter. As if "solving a problem" is usually the reason for a "new" tying material or tool. It's been noted, many times on this site, "Just another solution looking for a problem."

The problem it solves is obvious: need mo' money in the bank.

Salty, Got that picture last week on the way home from catching my first fish of 2017. We have so many deer around here they could start a Bucktail production factory and it would hardly dent the population. They do not concern me too much until they eat the Pottery Woman's shrubs and flowers, then I start to worry because she is really a good shot with a handgun ;) I try to encourage her, actually, they are finest jerky I have ever eaten! In season, with a tag, of course!

Jeff, you nailed it. Most of the new stuff we see is about making $$$$. Nothing wrong with that - I'm extremely fond of $$$$ myself, especially when its acquisition requires no effort whatsoever. I don't know where this new stuff came from, but IME, a lot of the synthetic materials we use were originally manufactured for other purposes than fly tying. Some sharp-eyed person spots it, packages it, and sells it to us. My guess is that somewhere, "synthetic bucktail" can be found under another name.

FRN - What you need is a llama, preferably one with an ugly disposition - from what I understand, they like nothing better than kicking the living hell out of coyotes. And once the coyotes have been run off, you can shoot the llama and hold a neighborhood barbecue. Or you could move down here; we've been on the Eastern Shore almost five years, and I haven't heard one yet. I don't miss the bastards a bit - eastern coyotes are actually wolf/coyote hybrids, and they get way too big for my taste. (not that I've eaten a lot of them)

We are some tough folks here, we BBQ the coyotes, and use the llama's to pack fishing gear into the wilderness areas. Gotta have priorities

My guess is that somewhere, "synthetic bucktail" can be found under another name.

Assorted synthetic bucktail, plus free dubbing tool!

post-52874-0-78742500-1490405057_thumb.jpg

Bimini ... LOL ... those brushes are probably natural fur.

Although, they might be synthetic ... they are too fine to replace buck tail.

faux bucktail.....

scratching my head....

that would be right up there with, say, faux rum or fake t****** on my list of things I don't care to mess with.

Sorry Joel, I don't drink so the fake rum would be great for me, and as far as the other, I'll mess with all the ones you don't want to.

Yes, Troutguy. But you will only find one that's been hit by an autonomous car, on a virtual highway.