Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

YLI Silk thread keeps breaking while wrapping hook

I have YLI silk thread that I am trying to use to create soft-hackle flies, but when wrapping the silk thread down to the bend and back, it breaks several times. I thought silk thread was supposed to be strong, but this thread does not appear to be strong. I am not applying any pressure (more than normal) on the thread while wrapping, but can't seem to prevent it from breaking!

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong or how to keep this thread from breaking?

Three reasons why My thread breaks.

1) Too much pressure. Easy to do when you go to smaller threads.

2) Nicks in the bobbin holder. Either end of the tube could have a nick or groove that's cutting the thread. Watch for "frays" before the thread actually breaks. If you see some, then nick in the tube might be the issue.

3) Thread contacts the hook point. This is my most common reason for breaking thread.

Of course, you could just have a bad spool of thread.

Thanks for the response; I'm now wondering if it's worth it to tie with silk; it's a real pain in the ass to work with, and I don't see any visible benefit. Any idea of the quality of YLI vs the more common silk threads?

I use Pearsall's Gossamer for most of my soft-hackle flies. Although it is a pleasure to tye with, it is not as strong as 8/0 Uni and will break if placed under too much tension. You should also be aware that silk weakens with age, especially if exposure to sunlight.

Rockworm... didn't know about silk thread weakening with age... I assumed that I was buying NEW thread, but not sure... can you tell me why "it's a pleasure to tye [sic] with"? Does it really make a difference to the fish?

I have several spools of YLI 100 silk thread. After I read your post, I spun and packed 4 clumps of deer hair with it. It broke one time between packing and starting to spin the next clump, probably because the thread got partially cut from my packing tool. Other than that, it worked just fine.

Try removing several feet from your spool and testing it again. You don't need to have it in a bobbin holder either. You should know right away if it's really weak that it's the thread, and not your bobbin holder or hook point etc. Silk thread should last a lifetime if stored properly. I have some older spools of Pearsall's gossamer that are 50 plus years old and they still work just fine.

The thing with silk besides tradition is that it changes color when it gets wet and some color shades become translucent. Most synthetic threads just stay the same after they get wet. YLI 100 is a little more thick in diameter than Pearsall's gossamer and only has two ply's, where Pearsall's has three. It's not going to matter much longer anyway since Pearsall's is going the way of the passenger pigeon. You don't need silk for any soft hackle, flymph, or north country spider patterns. Just use thread if you find that it's easier for you. For fishing, it's just not going to make a world of difference what you use.

Regards,

Mark

i guess if youre tying museum flies then traditional silk threads would be preferred

i tie soft hackle bodies using thread an uni stretch

the fish i hook cant tell the difference

Most of my Gossamer is over 30 years old and as strong as the day I bought it. I suspect the real culprits in silk degradation are sunlight (UV) and moisture- not simply age. I doubt the fish care what your fly is tyed with- just so long as it looks edible. But I do like the look and feel of a quality silk thread or floss. Pearsall's Gossamer also has a diameter a bit larger than 6/0 Uni which can result in a pleasing "segmented" abdomen.

At least half the flies I tie are tied with Pearsall's silk, and have never had problems with it breaking. I've never tried YLI, but until this thread I've never heard any complaints it being weak, either.

You're not by any chance using black silk, are you? It has a reputation of not being very strong. (It often started out as some other color; there was a problem with the dying process, and was re-dyed black to cover it up.)

No, not using black silk... using yellow for "partridge and yellow" soft-hackle fly... not turning out the way I expected, but then again, practice makes perfect! (thanks for the response)

Post a picture so me can criticize, ... um... critique your efforts.

I have used YLI 100 in rod building, and have never had any problems with the strength or consistency of the thread. I use gossamer for my partridge and orange/yellow. Never had a problem. I suspect a burr in your bobbin barrel, or, that you are using a steel barreled bobbin, and aren't advancing the thread as you wind.

Many years ago I scored a real bargain on eBay- a dozen or more spools of silk thread and floss. The spools were made of wood and clearly fairly old. As it turned out, the thread was pretty much useless. It practically disintegrated in my hands.