Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Just got a skiff!

Thanks guys!!

Super stoked to get out on it, hopefully this weekend. Thanks for the advice, we have 6 PFD's aboard and they are all Coast Guard approved. Already did the safety course, but going to go out with some of my buddies/guides the first couple times to learn the ropes a bit.

I'll post some pictures soon, but now it's back to tying flies!

Flats how long is that boat? I would take three of those PFD's back to the store. I've owned small boats my entire life. I would not go fishing with any more then one other person in that boat. If it's 18 to 20 feet long I might take two others out but I would still limit it to one other person 95% of the time. Three people, their gear, tackle, a cooler, PFD's, a net, fire extinguishers, flares, throw cushions, a paddle, a pole, etc... take up a lot of room. I find three people in a small boat to be anything but enjoyable fishing.

I would take three of those PFD's back to the store.

I find three people in a small boat to be anything but enjoyable fishing.

Or, at least, put three of them in the garage. Two people on the boat, three PFDs. One as a "throwable" just in case. If you bought one of those 6 packs, the orange, blocky ones ... put those in the storage boxes. Buy some inflatables (or vest types) that you can wear all day. I'm not saying you have to wear them all day, but those are the kind you're more likely to wear while underway. Very few people are comfortable with the orange ones. They're flotation ... not comfortable.

A big crowd at a party might be okay ... a big crowd on a boat is a disaster waiting to happen. You can't be too cautious on the water.

Friends might wan to go out on it with you ... but you have to say, "No" ... or "Next week" when too many want to go at once.

I know you're eager to show off your boat ... but sit back, relax and get into it slowly.

A boat=a hole in the water you throw money into

Just kidding....sort of. That's a nice looking boat, I wish I had one like it, mine is a deep V more suited to pulling kids in tubes than it is for fly fishing. Now that the kids are out of the house maybe I can sell it and buy a little fishing boat. Thanks for the inspiration!

Always, safety first, and it helps to learn proper technique for launching and pulling out. Crowded boat launches are where I see the craziest, rudest, and downright stupidest things.

Congratulations on your money pit.

I have a fish and ski money pit, it's a pretty common lakes style boat for the larger lakes in Maine and bigger ponds around here. Having not figured out how to walk on water yet ? Seriously though we get to places we couldn't or at least didn't often dare to in our open aluminum utility boat we had before, though that little boat was awesome for river fishing in places I wouldn't take this boat. These days we are back to using a powered canoe to get up river and then drift our way back down.. You can really fish some pools that way that you can't get a drift on wading, because you get on the other side of the seams.

Oh and Flats, congrats !