Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
goofnoff

Mono rigging

Apparently the state of cold water fisheries and the environment is something this forum wishes to ignore and pretend is not in peril. When you, your children, and your grandchildren have no clean water to fish remember how naive and complacent you were.

If you're going to start insulting people, then this thread will need to be closed. What you call " ... naive and complacent ... " isn't. We just don't want to talk about it here. This is a place of respite from the battles of daily life.

Please.

Exactly Jalberts

I',m as political as they get and I am disgusted by the Administration's war on the environment. But if we start political discussions in this forum that is all it will be

I was once deeply involved through TU in the fight to stop a limestone quarry being dug on Penn's Creek.

But let's not it in this forum.

no, isn't it perfectly clear that we as fishermen all HATE THE ENVIRONMENT and we all want it to go to crap? :D :D

no, isn't it perfectly clear that we as fishermen all HATE THE ENVIRONMENT and we all want it to go to crap? biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Especially those bait anglers, who keep muddying up the water with the dead bait bodies that fall off the hooks !!!

And those spin anglers who keep losing pieces of monofiliment every time their finesse rig breaks off !!!

And those bass anglers that keep tearing up the weeds dragging their 1/2 ounce jigs across the bottom !!!

And those fly anglers who refuse to quit using lead wraps under their sinking fly and nymph bodies ... givin' us all lead poisoning !!!

Oh, scratch that last line ... fly anglers ALL care about the environment !!!

wink.png

I think the difference is you're still casting a fly line using a 15 foot leader for drys.

you still cast a fly line when making a 30' cast or longer when using the mono rig. So does it only become fly fishing when cast a fly line? Tenkara is fix line fly fishing using the same type of rig as the mono rig. What makes that fly fishing and not the mono rig?

I agree if you're using a 30 ft leader and actually using the weight of the fly line to cast you are fly fishing, and probably a much better caster then I am, however if your spool is loaded with heavy wet mono and you are over head casting using a weight to carry the fly and line like you would with a spinning rig is it really fly fishing?

We've turned nymphs into jigs. I've done a lot of jigging for smallies and walleyes, but not trout. I'e always thought that IN GENERAL the jig is the best rig for catching fish. Tying flies on jig heads is nothing new. But I see jigs for trout have become all the rage. I'm not sure whether you use a fly rod or soinnig rod for delivery makes much difference.

There are a lot of people who think streamers are a lure not a fly.

Apparently the state of cold water fisheries and the environment is something this forum wishes to ignore and pretend is not in peril. When you, your children, and your grandchildren have no clean water to fish remember how naive and complacent you were.

Apparently you know just what everyone is thinking. How about taking your political views to a political forum or start a new thread someplace.

If you're going to start insulting people, then this thread will need to be closed. What you call " ... naive and complacent ... " isn't. We just don't want to talk about it here. This is a place of respite from the battles of daily life.

Please.

After looking at the various ways to rig nymphs I think I'll try the Kelly Galloup drop shot set up which you can see on U-Tube.

Of course what will happen is that I'll see a trout rise and lose all interest in nymphs immediately. Sixty years of habit is hard to break.

After looking at the various ways to rig nymphs I think I'll try the Kelly Galloup drop shot set up which you can see on U-Tube.

Of course what will happen is that I'll see a trout rise and lose all interest in nymphs immediately. Sixty years of habit is hard to break.

more likely you'll see some "highly educated" trout take a swipe at the drop shot sinker instead of the fly.

Drop shot rigs have been used in the bass fishing crowd for a long time. The basic problem I see with it for fly fishing is the weight. Drop shot fishing requires a weight heavy enough to keep the rest of the rig in place.

Originally, it was fished on a tight line, so the lure would be suspended and the angler had a direct connection to the lure. Extremely effective at feeling subtle bites on small lures, but a pain when the fish got wrapped up in the drop line.

You're going to find the line, from the fly to the weight, will have ripped scales off the fish and can get caught in the gills.

It's why I stopped using the rig soon after hearing about it and trying it a couple of decades back.