Fly Tying

Nice! You are already a better beach snook fisherman than I am, but hopefully changing that this summer!

Awesome! Good luck getting any sleep tonight.. snook fever is easily contracted. Looks like the weather is clearing too. Good luck tomorrow.

Leaving now to go pick up my brother then headed back down to Sarasota for some more fishing. Ill be tossing a fly while he and my gf throw lures and bait. Theres tortoises on the dunes in the area, saw dolphins off the beach yesterday, and getting out so early maybe we can see a sea turtle. There were a bunch of nests on the beach yesterday roped off. Hoping to maybe see a Diamondback too in the dunes. Gonna be a good day!

Hooked two snook this morning and landed one. Then got a gag grouper in the surf on an unweighted fly fished just under the surface above rocks! Crazy! Finished the day hunting sharks teeth and catching a boatload of salt cats. Heading home for a much needed nap. Pics when I dont feel so dead.

Just using the first leader formula I found on the web. 3ft of 50lb mono, 1ft of 20lb mono, and 2ft of 30lb flouricarbon.

I went out this morning, back to the same beach. Wind was howling and the surf was rough. Left my flies in the truck and eased out with a spinning rod and pearl/white swimbaits on a red jighead. I hooked 20 snook, and caught 12 before we had to leave. The smallest 14 inches and the largest 25 inches.

Considering that all but three of those hookups came from one spot, I was. The beach has rocks right at the waters edge, and at high tide theyre partially underwater, about 10ft off the beach. The snook were all (except three caught on a rock free section of beach further down casting parallel to shore) on the open water side or on the beach side of the rocks. There were lots of boils on the surface and bird activity so I think the rough surf was beating baitfish on the rocks providing easy picking for the fish.

Good looking small surf fly - and just the size for those Gulf-side snook. Noted from your photo that you're not using a loop knot for your connection... That fly will work even better with a loop knot...