Fly Tying
vicrider

The SCUD/Sow Bug swap + pictures

Vicente's flies should be here this week. I'll get some pictures of them and post them and get them sent out as soon as possible. Life has a funny way of teaching us things and one I've just learned is my plans come second to the problems of the body. I had to have some surgery and like almost every surgery I've ever had the results were not as good as what the doc (and I) hoped for. Much longer and uncomfortable recovery than anticipated and had to cancel White River trip this fall. I'm going to go ahead and get the knee done after this round of recovery is over and by next year I just might be able to get to the amount of fishing I'd planned on in retirement. These bugs in this group are really looking good and I think they should be an important part of everyone's fly box. Scuds, sow bugs, cress bugs, and similar critters are a mainstay of every stream and if your stream has some grass trout could be making them a major part of their daily diet right through the year.

First time at PO since Friday and they're here and look great. Just got done taking pics and see if they're good enough to print.

Okay guys, here's the story and I'm sticking to it. My macro was fooling me and focusing on ripples in the backgroung white foam I was using. Not every shot but caused me a bunch of grief before I figured out what was happening. Anyway, I had to reshoot several pics and may have (probably) lost track of author on a few flies. If I mislabel yours know that all the flies were better than mine so be proud of what you have. Also, I must once again apologize to dflanagan for the loss of his flies. They were very nice and should have added nicely to this set.

My set DSCF5148.JPG DSCF5205 (2).JPG

netabrookie DSCF5179 (2).JPG

Dubs DSCF5182 (2).JPG

Bryon Anderson DSCF5185 (2).JPG

Foambug DSCF5187 (2).JPG

FishingBobNelson DSCF5190 (2).JPG

stabgnid DSCF5201 (2).JPG

vicente DSCF5207 (2).JPG

breambuster DSCF5217 (2).JPG

r2732 DSCF5219 (2).JPG

woodenlegs DSCF5221 (2).JPG

J-Kno DSCF5223 (2).JPG

So the flies are on their way. As usual there's a story to tell. You'll find almost every envelope is cut open and re-taped. This is because I was down to two envelopes to finish to send out and underneath the next to last one as I stuck the Altoids box in I spotted a folded cellophane baggie on bottom. Guess what? It was the dflanagan scud I thought I'd lost on the table that day. So to be fair to him and everyone sending theirs in I opened and closed the envelopes to include his fly. There was also a generous amount of extras in there and a couple of guys just contributed without wanting back so everyone should have some random extras in there. If it happens to be one of you own it was still random. I tried to mix them up. This is a great bunch of flies and a primary part of trout diet all across the country so hopefully the guys who get to do some trout fishing can use them as they were meant to be.

Vicrider, I started to send you a message the other day and put it off and didn't do it, and now I wish I had. I had the same thing to happen to me a couple of years ago. A guy sent in his flies in a plastic zip lock back rather than a crush proof box and they were the first set to arrive. I put the envelope in the tote where I kept flies as they arrived and forgot about them. When it came time to send them back, and mistook the envelope with his flies for an empty envelope from a previous swap and thought I had lost a set. I found them at the last minute after apologizing to him and the rest of the swap for losing his set. If I had told you that story a few weeks ago, it might have given you the clue as to where your missing set was at. But the bottom line is that I'm glad you found them. I know the gut wrench of thinking you've lost and set and having to go online and apologize. Oh, the trials and tribulations of being a Swapmeister!

Take care

BB

The flies arrived in today's mail, a great looking collection.

A great bunch of flies arrived yesterday! Thanks everyone and a big thanks to Nick for hosting another great swap.

Take Care,

Tony

BB, yes, I'm glad I found the dflanagan flies at the last minute. I debated about adding them since all but one package was already sealed but conscience wouldn't let me pass. And to those who included any extras, thank you much. The couple of small minnows especially look good for crappie fishing next spring.