Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Premiere issue (EASTERN fly fishing)

Got home from work and what was waiting in the mail for me,The Premiere issue spring 2005 of Eastern fly fishing.What a great magazine.Also there is a great story write up of the Au Sable,Mi river by Bob Linsenman (River of Many Faces).

Very indepth article of the river and the hatches of different types.Also the pretty pictures are just beautifull.

Also articles on the Donegal Springs Creek,Pa

Shenandoah River,Va

Margaree River,Nova Scotia

Jamaica Bay,NY

Sanibel Island,Fl

Each article are very indepth of the particular water with a notebook of when,where,appropriate gear,useful fly patterns,licence cost,shops,guides,and were to find maps of that river mentioned.Also with each article mentioned they summit a fly pattern and reciepe for it.

i highly recomend the magazine to all felow east coast fly fishers.I tell ya i am glad that i subscibed to it.I think it is one of the most informative fly fishing magazines that i have picked up.

tt

Got mine today too. Very impressed. I may be fishing donegal springs this september. We will be vacationing right in that area.

john

Yeah i think it is one if not the most informal magazines i have picked up or recieved.........I was looking through thier web site and they offered a Northwest,and Southwest magazine also...

tt

I just got the magazine on Monday. Loaded with great articles, very informative. I am definitely going to Donegal Springs Creek this summer. I would highly recomend this magazine also. I just signed up for 2 years of it.

I think the mag blows for $5.95 US.Atleast 50% of the mag is adds and almost every page is littered with em.If I wanted adds shoved down my throat I'd buy a Tradeing Times for $1.50 or better yet a brown bagger for $5.95

I'm sure you can find plenty of info on the net about these rivers for free.

The adds were just to overkill for me.

Brent.

I got my issue. I'm with Brent on this one. WAY to many ads. I don't think there is a single page without an ad! If this magazine would be free it would be a different story, but for 5.95 they can kiss my a$$. I feel really sorry for people who consider Donegal Springs Creek their home water. I never fished there, but I might fish it together with about 10000 new anglers who are going to visit this little creek this year because of this issue. Does anyone think it can handle this kind pressure, even CR? What were the editors thinking bugeyes.gif !?

I too was disapointed with the mag. I also felt that there were too many ads. I think my money would be better spent on just about anything else but this mag.

I guess it a lot like any comercial venture, very little useful info, a lot of ads for shit.gif .

Definantly a thumbdown.gif thumbdown.gif

I didn't get it, but keep in mind if it is a new magazine they probably needed all the adds to put it out. It may get better over time. Maybe go to their website and mention that you didn't care for all the adds and see what they say.

It broke my heart reading the Ausable article yesterday at lunch.

That river system was my old whompin' stompin' ground. The writer nailed everything he wrote about it.

Sigh.... cool.gif

Adds are just part of the business, its what keeps magazines running, newspapers running, even this website. I thought the articles were well written and informative. I would like them to add more patterns though!

I too signed on for a year’s subscription.

I was not thrilled, skimmed it and threw it in the basket. I take fly tier and spend hours pouring over it. I also subscribe to Fly Fishing and Tying Journal; I enjoy it, but it’s all about western fisheries.

The eastern half of the country has some great fly fishing, and it's everywhere. These folks want to make the mag a success. Let’s help them out, tell them how we feel and what we want. If their smart they will listen.

I run camps and conferences and always hand out review sheets to help shape the event the following year. I want to hear form those using my product and then meet their need. This has helped to double the attendance.

Come on Guys, especially those of us in the east. Tell them how you feel.

Conehead

I'm very interested in seeing this magazine for myself. There seems to be alot of differing opinions on it, but I will wait and see, sent for the free issue and 1 year subscription, will wait to see how it looks and reads before committing to a subscription.

Damian

we are new to the board and to fly fishing. Yes there were many ads but,

there was also a lot of good information. Will visit the web site and leave

an opinion as mentioned above.

John and Patti

Winston Salem, NC

I too got the mag, and I thought it was just alright. Adds generally don't disappoint me, it is where I generally get introduced to new gear. That being said the content of the magazine. The flies that they showed where poorly tied in my opinion at least if they want to show themselves as being professional...The Lead hellgrammite had the Ostrich herl trimmed to length at the back, it also appears that the marabou on the schminnow was also.

I guess I'm just disappointed I think there should be a warmwater flyfisher magazine. Yet I did continue my subscription. I think things will only get better!