Fly Tying
breambuster

Little Bluegill Clouser

squatch approves your bluegill clousers

7QMm.gif

every time a clouser comes on the forum it has to be tied a certain way or its not a clouser

Bb the flash and slinky you have should last you for a few years at least, I think you could use some ftd products that would be similar as well. I have been running on the same pack of flash n slinky since I joined the site.

Thanks, Mikechell, I can’t tell much from the pictures and was hoping that some FTD customer might say something like, “I have used so-and-so material and it is similar to Flash N Slinky.” Or “I like material X from FTD for Clouser-type flies.

As far as color, I have the most common type of Male Red/Green color-blindness and have to rely on my good and faithful wife for colors. She gave me a pair of this glasses that are supposed to fix color-blindness for my birthday a couple of years ago and they didn’t make 1 iota of difference. And it took almost an act of Congress to get our money back. I can’t tell you how disappointed she was for me. Anyway, could you suggest some other natural colors like you like to use?

Thanks

BB

I think the northern lights would be the closest to flash and slinky. I'll probably tie mine for the swap using the starburst peacock dubbing or fibers.

My problem is, I don't know what "Flash-n-Slinky" looks like. So I can't recommend a replacement.

I haven't seen anything that is super close the stuff I mentioned from ftd I'd kinda similar but not the same, I think it's kinda like the SF fibers there's similar stuff but not quite the same especially at a lower price point.

Flash N Slinky is some interesting stuff. It is mostly fibers that look almost like bucktail in that it is narrow with just a little wave to it. But mixed in are a very few fibers that are very narrow but flash like about 1/2 as wide as Flashabou but crinkly, like tiny bars across its narrow width about 1/64 inch apart; almost touching but not quite. Bob Marriott has several colors named for salt water fish. Anchovy, Mackrel, Mullet, Shrimp. But others like Bronze Back and Perch. Then other colors name like Yellow. Royal Blue, (that’s the blue I got.) I don’t know what some of these colors are or whether or not they would look like baitfish to Bluegills. What color is Anchovy, Mullet, or Mackrel, and would Bronze Back attract Bluegills or frighten them away.

Actually, I do believe FTD's "Northern Lights" might be a good alternative. I've got that in Olive-yellow and silver-blue. I use them both as tails on my Panfish Attractor.

Great colors and lots of flash.

Mikechell, why dont you join my Bream (Bluegill) Swap and tie your Panfish Attractor? I would like to learn it.

BB

I agree you should join in Mike, I know you don't do swaps but you should get lots of good fish able flies out of this one.

Abel, why do you believe the peacock will work best? Is it purely a matter of color or is there some other reason? I bought the Flash N Slinky from Bob Marriott, out your way. They have several other colors as well. You might take a look and let me know if any other colors look fishy to you.

BB

It's my experience BB peacock green is a go to color for pan fish. Mid summer (super hot days) the chartreuse n white for the crappie n small (6") bass. That material is fine, personal i like bucktail, or on size 10 or 12 i use calf tail.

And yes next time i show to Bob Marriott's I'll take a look for different colors of that stuff. I've seen it there but every time i go there I get side tract. I personally think that place is better than Disneyland down the street! Sometimes i want to cry when i leave. Lol

Abel, I didn’t realize you lived close enough to GO there. All I meant was to take a look at their online site. I live in SC, so 95%, or better, of my materials come from mail order houses.

BB