Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CSB1

Rolltop Desk

I should add, that there must be a thriving market for roll top desk still because lots of people are making them and they go for over two thousand bucks new. A quick look on ebay showed a few used ones for sale for over a thousand bucks. I got mine, what I think is a nice used one for $350.00, at a local auction.

From the responses here, the amount of disagreement among fly tyers once again does not dissapoint. I can understand the appeal of a rolltop especially with a wife around that wouldn't want to see the mess tying flies can generate. For me, I opted for a large flat table and many (reconfigurable) plastic sets of drawers. This is great since I can get more storage with a trip to Walmart. I don't have to worry about spilling head cement, paint, or thinner on expensive furnature and I have no drawers that become useless because they are behind the clamp of my vise.

A lot of modern items are made so cheaply that they are mostly junk. When items of 40 or more years still operates satisfactory while quite a few modern item, like furniture, fall apart within a decade, then it is clear that some, not all, items that were built well ages ago are superior.

Just for the record, I deleted two posts that were "attack and counter-attack" and added nothing to the discussion.

Keep it civil, please.

Actually, I can reach the drawers on my roll top nicely from my chair. I put glass on the desk top to keep the head cement and glue off of it.

Mine is solid oak and fairly well made. I pay closer attention to fit and finish in my trade than the builders of my desk did but I would hate to see what it would cost brand new if that much fine detail was paid.

Since I have the roll top, I no longer have to worry about reaching through the vise for things I need on the desk, they are in the cubbies above the vise. I also no longer have to worry about things falling off the back of the desk like they used to when I had a regular desk.

It suits my purposes nicely.

I like my Roll Top desk, for the most part. With it, you need a lot of light; mine is like a cave. It is an antique, which is sort of the point. Anyone that thinks Bamboo is a thing of the past... Some could argue that fly fishing is just a bunch of nostalgic old farts, if it were not for the new bearded, tattooed guys out there chucking paired down Muppet flies.

There are almost always roll top desks available on craig's list for free. I picked one up from there, in excellent condition, for free.

Rolltop desks are classically beautiful.

However, I have found two landmines to watch out for.

1. They can be tall. If you're placing in front of a window, make sure it doesn't block the window or your natural light.

2. Make sure you have enough space below to keep your legs comfy between the drawers.

Check those off the list and you have a great fly-tying station!

Free roll top desks, wow. Are they nice, or all beat up? Nothin's free in Alaska.

I have seen a lot of them in really good condition. The one I picked up was in perfect shape, didn't even look used. Alaska probably is different though, and in the lower states I'm sure if you live in/near a city they are a lot more common.

In addition to what peppersmoke says, be sure the desk is deep enough so you can push you vice back and close the top smile.png