Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave_L

Suggestions for a basic materials kit?

I have been tying flies for more than 55 years...I (as I suspect some of my other fly tying friends) have become a fly tying materials and tools junkie. I am Mike and I am addicted to collecting fly tying stuff! I figure that I started out at 8 years old tying flies to save money...What a fallicy!! Over the years, I figure my flies come out to about $300 each - unless I stop buying and live for another 200 years tying every day!

My condolences for your infliction. Me, I'm the exact opposite when it comes to fly tying. I without a doubt save a ton of money tying my own flies and if I didn't I wouldn't tie them. I don't collect stuff, I don't fill endless fly boxes just to fill fly boxes, I don't buy materials just to buy when I can substitute with any number of other things and I don't spend a bunch of money on simplistic "tools." Best thing my father ever taught me was, "don't spend money when money don't need to be spent." A pearl of wisdom I absorbed and passed on to my kids as well. Granted after a number of years the stuff does seem to accumulate but that's because of the shear number of flies that can be tied from one small 2 dollar pack of dubbing or a 60 dollar intro pack of 4 half capes.

In the long run, if it makes you happy have it and collect away because money can buy happiness.