Fly Tying
Swampfoxforeman

Custom ARs

When I first moved to Florida, I had the displeasure of dining on a locally shot deer, taken from Ocala National Forest, which is most Loblolly Pine scrub-land. I swear, you could taste the pine in the steaks we were served.

Even if it wasn't "pine flavored", it wasn't good. I've had excellent venison from Indiana/Ohio. Won't bother trying it from here again.

I've already got a pistol in each room of the house. I can have one in my hand within seconds, no matter where I am in the house. As I said before, my time with an M-16 (or the AR version) in my hands ended when the "force reduction" policy got me laid off from military service. They,re good weapons ... but they aren't great weapons. There are better alternatives for in-home use.

Main point against .223 rounds ... I don't remember any frangible ammo available. I want a round that will dump ALL of it's kinetic energy INTO the person I shoot. I don't want any of that round to pass through and endanger Wife or cats.

When I moved from central Florida to east Tennessee, I sold most of my guns to have some extra cash for traveling expenses, etc. Also, I just didn't want to travel across a couple of states with a truck load of guns. And, I had a lot of guns. I used to do a lot of reloading and target shooting, but a few months before the move to Tennessee, I lost interest in shooting. At the local range, there were just too many irresponsible shooters. A guy was accidentally killed there and I was there when it happened. That pretty much soured me. Also, there were too many guys who shot AR's and other such semi-autos who would load them up and blast away only concerned about fire power and caring nothing about accuracy. They never used a brass catcher or screen and empty brass would fly everywhere hitting other shooters and putting nice scratches in other shooter's guns.

I did keep three or four of my nicer guns just to have in the safe, but I haven't shot them in years. I guess I have turned my swords into plow shears so to speak and have gotten deeper into my two main hobbies of fly tying and fishing, and watch collecting. You guys with the AR's please enjoy them now for they might not be around too much longer.

Joe

I agree they may not be around much longer but as have been said before you can have my guns bullets first you can have my gun when you pry it out of my cold dead hand, and when guns become outlawed Ill become a outlaw. I will not ever give up any of my guns without a fight to the death. Liberty Or Death

I agree they may not be around much longer but as have been said before you can have my guns bullets first you can have my gun when you pry it out of my cold dead hand, and when guns become outlawed Ill become a outlaw. I will not ever give up any of my guns without a fight to the death. Liberty Or Death

Plus 1

I no longer hunt and no longer shoot but I ain't giving up any of my firearms.

According to most law enforcement people I have talked with, they all seem to recommend the Remington 870 as the best home defense weapon as nothing is as instinctive as the sound of a round being racked by an 870.

I feel the same way about my fly rods. You can have my fly rods if you can pry them from my cold dead hands. When fly rods are outlawed, I'll become an outlaw. I will not ever give up any of my fly rods without a fight to the death.

Joe

The 870 is a great HD gun. I know Mossberg and Remington have the shotgun pistols that are really good for HD being they are short barreled and no stock only a grip. This issue is being no stock you need to hip fire which takes practice, but IMO any HD gun you need to practice.

That's mighty fine work Swampy. My brothers an old school machinist and I wish it was a skill I picked up along the way.

Your not prying nothing from my cold dead fingers. I'm a rule follower and will follow all laws, moral or legal. That's in my agreement with god.

All you guys in the cold dead finger crowd need not worry. There will be no Gman sweep across the nation taking your guns. They will simply make selling your guns or handing them down to your children illegal. I own lots of guns, some handed down from grandparents and parents. My kids have no desire to own guns so eventually guns will go the way of the dinosaur without a shot being fired nor one cold dead finger needing prying.

I don't keep guns laying about the house. All of mine are secured in a gun safe. My home defense is a couple well placed lead glass table lamps.

Poopdeck I hope your wrong about guns going away. We all have been warned by George Mason “To disarm the people…was the best & most effectual way to enslave them.” “When the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually, by totally disusing and neglecting the militia.”

Trust me I believe in all of the amendments including gun ownership. I don't own a single black gun nor do I desire to own one but I'm all about your right to have as many as you want solely because it's a constitutional right. The younger generation does not. I grew up in a hunting/trapping culture but stopped hunting In my mid twenties. My two daughters had zero interest in shooting guns. One went to the range one time with me and the other never went. Both could have cared less about shooting holes in a target. My son in law has never even seen a gun in person let alone held one or fired one. Same with my other daughters boyfriend. They grew up in an era where they were taught in school how to hide under a desk if gunshots were heard. Both live and work in cities, NYC and Richmond Va. neither feels a need to have a gun and I'm pretty sure they would be all for aggressive limits placed on guns. Their peers are the same way. Their children will be even further removed from the need for guns. its just the way it is going.

You and I will enjoy our guns for the rest of our lives but in another 25 years we will be the minority opinion on gun rights. There is no chance gun ownership sees another 50 years.

"... as the best home defense weapon as nothing is as instinctive as the sound of a round being racked by an 870... "

Why would you be "racking" a shotgun at that point, and giving up all tactical advantage?

For those saying that the OP's rifles aren't really custom because he didn't mill, machine, and manufacture all of the parts.... do you hand lay up your graphite blanks? Do you fabricate your own guides? How about the reel seats hardware (I mean the metal parts, more than spinning a piece of wood on a lathe)? Do you make your own thread?

So everybody is happy calling a fly rod "custom", when they actually bought every single component off of the shelf, but the AR rifles at the beginning of this thread are not?

For those saying that the OP's rifles aren't really custom because he didn't mill, machine, and manufacture all of the parts.... do you hand lay up your graphite blanks? Do you fabricate your own guides? How about the reel seats hardware (I mean the metal parts, more than spinning a piece of wood on a lathe)? Do you make your own thread?

So everybody is happy calling a fly rod "custom", when they actually bought every single component off of the shelf, but the AR rifles at the beginning of this thread are not?

I understand your intent, Pyme. But when someone builds a rod from a blank, it can cast differently depending on the components used. The parts actually DO make the rod unique.

If you put fancy hand guards and a lighter stock on a rifle, the barrel will still launch the round exactly the same. A scope might make your aim sharper, but it doesn't change the flight of the bullet.

If you blueprint and polish internal components, lighten the trigger pull, change the firing mechanism so it will go full automatic ... NOW were talking a custom AR15/M16.

I used to have a pickup that was Custom, had that marked right on it in "chrome", all that meant was a trim package installed at the factory. The word means nothing or whatever the user wants it to, kinda like saying "wow" or "huh".

I understand your intent, Pyme. But when someone builds a rod from a blank, it can cast differently depending on the components used. The parts actually DO make the rod unique.

If you put fancy hand guards and a lighter stock on a rifle, the barrel will still launch the round exactly the same. A scope might make your aim sharper, but it doesn't change the flight of the bullet.

If you blueprint and polish internal components, lighten the trigger pull, change the firing mechanism so it will go full automatic ... NOW were talking a custom AR15/M16.

If we were machines that held every rifle exactly the same that would be true like but different components make a different feel just the same as a rod casting differently, different twist rate and length on the barrel optimizes it for a different weight bullet.

Me personally I tend to shoot with my front hand tucked back in which means don't like most pump guns because my hand feels too far out, so a "custom" pump gun that just offers a shorter feeling grip for my left hand would make for a drastically more comfortable and accurate gun for me.