Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Living the Amish life

On 7/20/2020 at 12:05 PM, Steeldrifter said:

That makes sense. There's been different times here where I have seen what looked like a winch near the back of a work truck going straight down a manhole opening and I always wondered what they would be winching in/out of a manhole. That might be what they were doing I bet.

I've seen blowers with large hoses down in manholes, too.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:54 AM, Pyme Fisher said:

The power to our house comes in aboveground through one of our pastures. 

For appearance sake mainly, but also to avoid cutting around the poles, I wanted it moved underground and called the electric company about it. The guy on the phone actually laughed.

He said "We don't do it, but you can, at your expense, but it ain't cheap."

When I asked how "not cheap", he said hold on.

He took a look at our place on a satellite image, measured it, and said, "Oh, looks like about $20,000 should get you there."

Needless to say, the poles are still there...

Yes the power companies can be really agreeable about spending your money.  We had a wealthy individual who paid major coin to have over a mile of utility poles placed to her new lake house.

Something they have been doing up North by my cabin is replacing some of the old wooden style poles with giant, and I mean Giant, all metal poles. When they first started putting them up they were a bit of an eye sore with the bare metal look to them. Then after about 3 months they started getting a lot of surface rust on them and they actually look like wood now due to that and blend right in with the surroundings which I thought was kind'a neat.

I am a tech for a local large telecom,  i have seen the mess that storms create,  and delays from each company pushing back against another only creates more delays.   Its no fun being held hostage,  never mind the expense. I usually tell people clear the trees out now.   Its only going to cost you 10x more after a storm.    

Glad to hear you are back in modern times.   Stay safe.

Well, power is out again. And this is the 5th time it has been out since I originally posted this back in late July. Just unreal I am so sick of this crap.  Been out since 1pm and not coming back till at least 7:30 they say 🤬

I've just had it. Every time it goes out it causes an unreal amount of work for me to get the generator out and ran to all the aquariums in the basement. Then when it comes back on I have to spend an hour rehooking up everything and get the filters reprimed. This is the last straw, I am 90% sure I'm getting rid of all my aquariums except for maybe one medium sized one and that's it. When a hobby that is supposed to be relaxing, starts causing stress & frustration, then it's time to move on from that hobby.

😲 I understand the frustration.  Sorry to see you feeling this way about the aquariums and the fish that have become so personable.

On the other hand, it will give you more room to work on and store your trucks.