Fly Tying
DarrellP

Web vs print for tying instructions

When it comes to novels, I do prefer paper.  But I consider fly tying books "technical manuals".  Yes, there might be some background stories, but they're how-to books, and I don't "read" those.  

I guess that's why I prefer the internet for anything like this.  Quick, easy, look up the pattern or the technique and done.  No leafing through pages of "stuff" just to get to the how-to.  Some thing online, though.  Fishing videos and tying videos, I fast forward through all the "banter" and just watch the action parts.

Mike, it sounds like you are the most pragmatic and least sentimental person on earth.  Your approach is much more efficient than mine.  Lot's of good responses on here.  I too have a fairly good library of books that I enjoy.  

I use both. I perhaps use books a bit more than the internet now though. YouTube videos were extremely helpful to me when I was getting started, but now that I have a lot of the basic techniques down, photos suffice just fine and hence I turn to books more often. To each their own. 

4 hours ago, DarrellP said:

most pragmatic and least sentimental person on earth.

I don't have to listen to that kind of stuff here !!!  I get that from the Wife all the time at home !!!

😄

I still like and use books, but the web can be useful too.  Unlike Mike, I tie a variety of patterns and I find it much easier to use a book to search for interesting patterns to tie.  I also find books to be quicker if I am trying to remember a recipe or what order to tie the materials for a pattern.  I do like the web to learn new techniques.  My biggest complaint is there are a lot of poor quality fly tiers out there that have posted videos that are a waste of time to watch.  I usually find it quicker to just grab a book than to search for a quality video.  I am no where near as organized as Flytire, but here are some of the books that I have available. 

However, for anyone new to fly tying. the web is wonderful.  If it had been available when I started, my learning curve would have been shortened significantly and I probably would not own this many books. 

I'm also a casting instructor which explains all the casting books.  I have found books to be an invaluable reference for an instructor because I can compare how different people have explained different concepts and techniques.  I shamelessly steal and use as many good ideas as I can.  Good "technical" style explanations are seldom available in online casting videos. 

On a side note the two books on their side in the first photo are good ones.  "Fly-Casting Finesse" by Fields, is an excellent reference for anyone considering the FFI casting instructor certification exam.  "The Complete Illustrated Directory of Salmon & Steelhead Flies" by Mann is a great collection of fly pattern recipes and includes many that I can't find on the internet.  OK, I realize these are a couple of specialized areas, but if you are interested in them, these books are good ones on the topics.

IMG_7000a.jpg

IMG_7002a.jpg

IMG_7004a.jpg

There are about 30 different learning styles with each of us a combination of styles.(Mager, Criterion Reference Instruction)
Comprehension drops an average of 30% for online learning.
Bottom line, each of us learn differently.
Each methodology has it's strengths and weaknesses.
For me, I love it all depending what I'm working on.
I'm grateful for the guy who takes the time to post a video or a SBS or writes a book.(I do despise guys who takes credit for other peoples work.)
I'm not paying for it. If I don't like it, I just move on to something else.

Kimo

I have several books and refer to them often. I like you-tube as it lets me see how the fly should look.

Also the folks who post pictures as it helps me see what I should be doing.

Rick