Fly Tying
DFoster

Help- Leaking waders

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Mark this thread is the main reason I come to the site- to obtain the knowledge, thoughts and opinions of people who actually fly fish and tie flies.  As opposed to the counter help at the Orvis store who had a total "deer in the headlights" look when I asked about fixing leaking waders.

Glad we could help, O' Soggy Footed One

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Glad we could help, O' Soggy Footed One

We could write a song based on the lyrics of the Soggy Bottom Boys - I Am a Man of Constant Sorrows

Based on the lyrics of:

http://www.songlyrics.com/the-soggy-bottom-boys/i-am-a-man-of-constant-sorrow-lyrics/

In constant sorrow through his days

I am a man of constant soggy bottoms
I've seen trouble all my day
I bid farewell to old Kentucky
The place where I was born and raised

The place where he was born and raised

For six long years I've been fly fishing
No pleasures here on earth I found
For in this world I'm bound to be soggy
I have no friends to help me now

He has no friends to help him now

It's fare thee well my old waders
I never expect to see you again
For I'm bound to be wet forever
Perhaps I'll die with wet bottoms

Perhaps he'll die with wet bottoms

You can bury me in some deep valley
For many years where I may lay
Then you may learn to wade again
While I am sleeping in my grave

While he is sleeping in his grave

Maybe your friends think I'm just a wet wader
My soggy bottom you'll never see no more
But there is one promise that is given
I'll meet you on God's golden shore

He'll meet you on God's golden shore

18 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

We could write a song based on the lyrics of the Soggy Bottom Boys - I Am a Man of Constant Sorrows

Based on the lyrics of:

http://www.songlyrics.com/the-soggy-bottom-boys/i-am-a-man-of-constant-sorrow-lyrics/

In constant sorrow through his days

I am a man of constant soggy bottoms
I've seen trouble all my day
I bid farewell to old Kentucky
The place where I was born and raised

The place where he was born and raised

For six long years I've been fly fishing
No pleasures here on earth I found
For in this world I'm bound to be soggy
I have no friends to help me now

He has no friends to help him now

It's fare thee well my old waders
I never expect to see you again
For I'm bound to be wet forever
Perhaps I'll die with wet bottoms

Perhaps he'll die with wet bottoms

You can bury me in some deep valley
For many years where I may lay
Then you may learn to wade again
While I am sleeping in my grave

While he is sleeping in his grave

Maybe your friends think I'm just a wet wader
My soggy bottom you'll never see no more
But there is one promise that is given
I'll meet you on God's golden shore

He'll meet you on God's golden shore

Yep that about sums it up.  I added more aquaseal last night- we'll see how comfy I am this weekend.

On 10/3/2020 at 3:43 PM, mikechell said:

As with my students when we talk about pressure differences within a running engines air/fuel system.  Find a 1/2 pound weight.  Tie a string to it and hold it up with your pinky finger.  THEN we'll talk about how little a pressure difference we need to move fuel through a carburetor.  OR to lift an aircraft off the ground.

The inside of my waders has a softer surface than the outside.  If you don't get the sealant infused into every pore of that softer material, .433 lbs. WILL push the patch away and water through that patch job.  If the patch in on the outside, .433 lbs. of pressure will be pushing the patch tighter.

Again, I am not changing anyone's mind, nor trying to.  Put the patch where you think it should go, I don't care. 

if the outside pressure was pushing against the fabric and there was an unequal (1 atmosphere) air space on the "dry" side, I'd agree with you.   With waders they are pressed tightly against the structure underneath them, your leg and clothing, so in either  case, the patch is being clamped in place, not pushed out of place.  I'm (believe it or not) with you on this one though,  patches on the outside give waders some character. 

:D

17 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

I'm (believe it or not) with you on this one though,  patches on the outside give waders some character. 

:D

Because of the bramble infested small streams I often fish it doesn't take long for a brand new set of my waders to get "character". 😁

I tested mine up to the chest pocket yesterday, no leaks.

Didn't catch any fish either. There were just enough silver salmon in the river to get all the grayling full but I couldn't find any salmon in the fishable holes.

Did get a couple of grouse on the way to the hole though. So now I have a couple of fresh skins for soft hackles.

Sheared three pins in the little outboard trying to get back to the launch. Still, nice day to be out.

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

Nice Mark, Sounds like fun even w/ no fish.

Yep, it was a crisp, clear fall day. Just perfect.

Tough fishing these days here in Mass.  I hooked and lost a Rainbow on Saturday while wrestling with drought conditions - my only take in 8 hours of casting.  Today I caught a dozen or so small Fall fish Again on really skinny water.  On the way out I snagged a nice bramble bush with my right thigh.  Lots of new character for my waders. Time to forget 2020. 

All just a quick update.  It took half a tube of Aquaseal and multiple attempts but I'm happy to report that I stayed dry after an outing yesterday.  There's enough Aquaseal on them to make me question how breathable they are now- but they don't leak! The holes were fairly easy to locate and seal but I was still getting wet legs. After many hours of close examination and chasing leaks I could see areas with dime to quarter size "wear spots" that allowed water to seep through.  Not a hole but enough to make your clothes damp.  With a dozen wear spots and many hours in the water damp becomes wet which then becomes wet and cold.  Up to this point I have always worn jeans under waders.  I know, I know the experts told me not too, well it turns out the experts were correct.  So from here on It's soft athletic or flannel pants under my waders.