Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Phil Miller

Left Handed Fly Tools

15 hours ago, flytire said:

other than maybe the scissors but with the loop holes being equal in diameter they seem to be usable for right and left handed users alike

arent there left handed scissors out there?

There are left handed scissors available from surgical suppliers some of which  could be used, I like the iris scissor because my first tying scissors were that style.

The loops are the least of the problem, the blades must be reversed for the left hander to see where the cut is, when open right hand scissors have the blade on the right up and left hand scissors have the blade on the left up. When we try to use them with the other hand the up blade hides the work so we twist and turn the scissors, our bodies and the work to try seeing what is being done. I typically use either or both hands but two of my children are strictly left handed, it can make a difference.  In use the  thumb blade goes down and the finger blade goes up.

left-spacer.png    right- spacer.png

8 hours ago, Phil Miller said:

4" Tungsten Carbide and 4" Titanium in this scissor for left handers!

Look nice, the loops can open? Typically most scissors fit small hands, I'm guessing all the ones shown in the OP have small loops.

I was thinking that back in 1st grade arts class there a few pairs of scissors with odd colored handles for the kids who were wrong-handed. 

I'm a southpaw.  Haven't seen or tried any "left-handed" tools. Dr. Slick scissors work great, DK Pro vise no problem, whip finisher works.  I'd be happy to try any of your lefty stuff out and give you feed back.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:14 PM, mikechell said:

Yeah, there's definitely a difference.  As I stated before, I cut my fingernails with scissors.....

Just use your pocketknife.