Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Phil Miller

Left Handed Fly Tools

I am looking for some input on doing a line of left handed fly tying tools can I get some input from some of you lefties out there! 

I added the picture of the current line of scissors we are offering.

122139311_637427296934290_777538112832942668_n (1).jpg

I am a southpaw, most tying tools with the exception of scissors and a few vises are not a problem.  I have 1 pair of anvil left hand tying scissors they have been out for sharpening thru a local hair salon due to the company discontinued manufacturing left hand models. Some of the newer right handed scissors seam to hold up well but it is just a matter of time  before they open up. With a smaller production run where would the price point fall ? what other tying tools do you consider to need left hand  models? I am interested.

I am open to almost any tool we are going to see what kinds of interest we can get to see if it's worthwhile time wise and cost. We have about $2,000 into tooling a left handed set of scissors. 

I cut my nails with scissors.  Using regular scissors with my left hand (to cut my right nails) is problematic, at best.  It'd be interesting to see how quickly I'd learn to use left hand scissors with my left hand.

You might check with nail salons for interest, too.

strictly as an FYI warning.  As long as this thread is just about information, it stands.  You aren't allowed to advertise or sell on this site until you've posted 40 times or more.  This thread would be deleted immediately upon any attempts to sell prior to 40 posts.

s-l500.jpg

out of this basic set of fly tying tools, what would be redesigned for a left handed tyer?

other than maybe the scissors but with the loop holes being equal in diameter they seem to be usable for right and left handed users alike

arent there left handed scissors out there?

the original photo in the first post doesnt appear to differentiate between left or right hand

I'm ambidextrous. However, I discovered eons ago that right-handed scissors work with the thumb pushing to one side to bear against the cutting edge of the other side. To use scissors left-handed, I pull with the thumb to bear against the cutting edge of the other side. There are left-handed scissors but my "system" works. What existing tying tools are for RH people?

Being a right hander with the exception of when using a bait caster reel (I think they got the side wrong) I never new scissors didn't cut both ways.

When I use right handed scissors in my left hand I tend to force the blades apart during the cut. The same applies for slip joint pliers, I will ruin your water pump pliers quickly as the torque from my hand closing opens the slip joint over time. growing up on a apple farm and ruining more than a few pairs of pruning shears until I had to learn to prune right handed. At the bench the only thing I really have a issue with is scissors, they will work but eventually open up and not cut. spring style without finger loops are fine, and there are ways to hold  RH scissors to reverse the torque but it becomes awkward.  Other than a occasional vise, early hackle guards I used to wind thread into them, a few pairs of cheap hackle pliers that would pop open when I used them most tools are fine or ambidextrous.  

27 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I never new scissors didn't cut both ways.

You and me both @Poopdeck. I thought the op was joking... And that it was pretty funny... "I'm starting a business for left handed products" and then the pic of... scissors!  Didn't realize

37 minutes ago, Phil Miller said:

what do we need to make left handed besides scissors?

Phil, most other tools are ambidextrous or there is a very easy inexpensive solution. While I would like another pair of LH scissors there are spring type palm held that work fine. Gaucher left hand embroidery (made by Bohin in France) makes a pair but the finger loops are small for my fat hands I would need to cut and open the loops. Anvil made the best LH fine point but they are discontinued.

Yeah, there's definitely a difference.  As I stated before, I cut my fingernails with scissors.  TO do my right hand, I have to (Obviously) hold the scissors in my left hand. 

I have to:

1. Reverse my "attack angle", so the outside edge is cutting down.  If I go at it from the easier side, the outside edge is cutting up, and more likely to bend the nail rather than cut it.
  2. Reverse the force applied to the scissors with my finger and thumb.  As cphubert stated, you naturally force (push) the scissor's cutting edges together.  Using the scissors in the left hand, you have to "pull" on the scissor handles to force them together.

With easy to cut materials, and good, sharp scissors ... this effect isn't as noticeable.  With harder to cut materials (finger nails, GSP thread, plastic sheet) it becomes much more pronounced and irritating.

The only other fly tying tool I can think of that IS right hand friendly, is the Thompson Whip Finisher.  But then, I don't know anyone who uses one anymore.  I tried teaching some people at a fly tying meeting how to use one ... and they all gave up after just a few minutes.