Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sandan

Snowies #2 for the Brora

Sandan - Here is the Torrish after the main wing and other various and sundry parts are in place. The purpose of these photos is to show you a certain shape to the wing that will work with the curve of the topping. The wing is still in need of some preening but you get the idea. Again...hope these help.

Cheers,
George

1873254655_DSC_0002(2).thumb.JPG.ea51c58366610d09c02e8bae4ce8c852.JPG152005700_DSC_0003(2).thumb.JPG.972c04d9cfe173cf7ad705781067bf21.JPG

5 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Go for it @Sandan!

Thanks for encouraging him chugbug27...gotta get him motivated!!
You don't happen to know Bud Guidry of Galliano, LA? One of the best tyers on the planet!!
George

I hope it is you and Bud arguing politics...because I DO NOT get into that...period !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have sat with Bud and McLain in Johns basement, and tied a few, yeah tied one on! Our Club,  Michigan Fly Fishing club (MFFC ), had Bud and Gordy as guest tiers. Great guys that can hold their own. 

@SalarManI get it I think. What I'm thinking is the wing and topping need to be thought of as a cohesive unit in terms of flow. Shape the wing, modify the topping, rinse and repeat. I might have read that the topping should be used as a sort of guide for the wing shape. Hold it in place to get the topping shape and match the wing to that. Does that make sense? Am I close, George? There's so much to remember for each detail to make the whole.

@chugbug27, I will go for it my friend. I appreciate the encouragement.

I'd give an eye tooth to be able to sit down with some of the tyers mentioned. I'm still looking for a club but striking out so far. 

[edit] George the alternate barring on your top two strips is so very cool [/edit] 

16 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I was joking about me and Bud arguing politics. Meant no disrespect.

No worries...never thought it was disrespecful. I figured it was about you and Bud.
I adhere to the old adage on never discussing politics and religion...especially politics in this day and age😁

14 hours ago, Sandan said:

@SalarManI get it I think. What I'm thinking is the wing and topping need to be thought of as a cohesive unit in terms of flow. Shape the wing, modify the topping, rinse and repeat. I might have read that the topping should be used as a sort of guide for the wing shape. Hold it in place to get the topping shape and match the wing to that. Does that make sense? Am I close, George? There's so much to remember for each detail to make the whole.

@chugbug27, I will go for it my friend. I appreciate the encouragement.

I'd give an eye tooth to be able to sit down with some of the tyers mentioned. I'm still looking for a club but striking out so far. 

[edit] George the alternate barring on your top two strips is so very cool [/edit] 

You are staring to see the light Sandan. The finished fly is the sum of its parts as they flow together. Sounds like a Zen philosophy, but it is true🙂 That almond shape you see in so many classic married wing salmon flies is what you are trying to attain.

Trying to get the ideas and techniques across via the printed word and still photos is difficult. Go to YouTube and write "tying classic salmon flies" in the search box. You will be amazed what pops up and the variety of types of flies. A wealth of information to be had!!

The fly's strips from the bottom up are yellow, red & orange swan (turkey in this case, my swan supply is getting low) followed by Kori Bustard, Floeican Bustarn and Golden Pheasant tail. If I get off my lazy ass:P, I should finish the fly today or tolorrow and I will then post it here.

30 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

You are staring to see the light Sandan. The finished fly is the sum of its parts as they flow together. Sounds like a Zen philosophy, but it is true🙂 That almond shape you see in so many classic married wing salmon flies is what you are trying to attain.

Trying to get the ideas and techniques across via the printed word and still photos is difficult. Go to YouTube and write "tying classic salmon flies" in the search box. You will be amazed what pops up and the variety of types of flies. A wealth of information to be had!!

The fly's strips from the bottom up are yellow, red & orange swan (turkey in this case, my swan supply is getting low) followed by Kori Bustard, Floeican Bustarn and Golden Pheasant tail. If I get off my lazy ass:P, I should finish the fly today or tolorrow and I will then post it here.

@SalarMan, the Zen is kind of where I was going as I do find tying very meditative.  I'm still at the stage of learning technique before I can let what in martial arts is called mushin, briefly described as the mind of no mind. The concept also applies to artists. I'll get there one day. The almond shape. Now that you pointed that out, it's just so obvious. The best place to hide something is in plain sight. I've been googling you suggestion. Global Fly Fisher is only one of the sites I've been at...a lot. Thank you for the wing recipe, McLain sent me some Kori. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Torrish. In fact seeing it at it's various stages of construction helps quite a bit.

Thanks as always for the knowledge transfer.

Sandan/Michael