Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fiveonomo

Tying Journal

Anyone keep track of what and how many they tie?  Since I am just getting started I thought that might be a cool thing to do as well as helpful at times with a pattern that you may have forgotten how you did it or what materials you used.  If you do this did you just make a journal or did you locate a more formal format?  

The only thing I have reference of is my pattern notebook it lists hooks / materials/ and proportions on patterns that I tie for others all this provides is my ability to recreate the same pattern consistently. If I was to start over I would look at flytire's blog http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/ his is one of the best one stop site's for references and documentation for tying patterns. Additionally, you can search this forum for a lot of information. I have never tracked how many of what pattern tied, but to each their own.

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

The only thing I have reference of is my pattern notebook it lists hooks / materials/ and proportions on patterns that I tie for others all this provides is my ability to recreate the same pattern consistently. If I was to start over I would look at flytire's blog http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/ his is one of the best one stop site's for references and documentation for tying patterns. Additionally, you can search this forum for a lot of information. I have never tracked how many of what pattern tied, but to each their own.

Thanks for the response, I will check that out.  Thats what I want to do is make sure that I am tying consistently, for myself only, but I want to do it the same once I get it right.  So much info out here it will probably take me the next decade to digest most of it never learning all of it.

My journal has two parts - 1) Fly patterns I like/would like to tie (with name recipe and any tips/tricks) and 2) fly patterns of my own design (usually waking me from a sound sleep!).

Kim

I do not keep track of how many, but on my computer I do keep track of what I tie (and sometimes the fish I catch with it), what I want to tie, the recipes and variations, and any tying notes/history/links I feel is pertinent to the fly, including the originator, if applicable.  I used to keep all this info separate (fly recipes tied and to tie in one place, pictures of fish caught/flies used in another, etc)  Recently I have been slowing putting all this info into OneNote.  Its going to take some time to get it all together, but so far I am liking having it all condensed in one place.  

Here is a recent thread with a little more info/opinions/options:

I keep binders with patterns I have tied and want to tie.  I also have shadow boxes with examples of each distinct pattern I have tied.  I can look at the shadow box and see how I tied them previously for consistency.  The only things my kids are arguing over to inherit are my shadow boxes.  I plan on hanging on to them for several years yet. The image is of most (not all) of my samples.  Each one is tagged with name, source and date.  This way I can find the details in my collection of patterns and books.

Shadow_Boxes.jpg

On 12/9/2020 at 8:38 AM, fiveonomo said:

Anyone keep track of what and how many they tie?  Since I am just getting started I thought that might be a cool thing to do as well as helpful at times with a pattern that you may have forgotten how you did it or what materials you used.  If you do this did you just make a journal or did you locate a more formal format?  

check out this thread on ideas

App to keep track - The Fly Tying Bench - Fly Tying (flytyingforum.com)

23 hours ago, BHouk said:

I keep binders with patterns I have tied and want to tie.  I also have shadow boxes with examples of each distinct pattern I have tied.  I can look at the shadow box and see how I tied them previously for consistency.  The only things my kids are arguing over to inherit are my shadow boxes.  I plan on hanging on to them for several years yet. The image is of most (not all) of my samples.  Each one is tagged with name, source and date.  This way I can find the details in my collection of patterns and books.

Shadow_Boxes.jpg

This I absolutely love!