Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ostrich

will loon uv "thin" work as substitute for head cement?

hey everyone, newbie here. trying to use UV resins as a substitute for head cement and ordered the loon uv "thin" version before learning that "flow" exists. Is the thin version too thick for sealing heads? thanks for the help!

What is the reason to substitute head cement with UV?

Thin UV will work in big flies, but I use Superglue for most flies. I do not even bother with superglue  in small ones.

unfortunately i don't have a dedicated tying area (using the kitchen table) so figured the UV would be quicker than head cement and easier to clean up if i spilled it/less chance to ruin the finish on my table. that's definitely good to know about the superglue though, hadn't thought of that!

5 hours ago, ostrich said:

Is the thin version too thick for sealing heads? thanks for the help!

back to your original question.

simple answer is loon thin is perfectly okay as a head coating. just use a thin coating and you'll be fine

i use uv resin on my fly heads all the time

resin.jpg

Accidents do happen, but I would not switch to UV resins for that reason alone. 
As for the kitchen table, do figure a way to keep the finish intact. That’s just good marriage survival skills.

Paper grocery bags are making a comeback.  Open one up and use it as a VERY cheap table covering - or go to a dollar store for a cheap neutral/single color table "cloth".  I can see school book coverings coming back in style!

Kim

If you "need" a shiny head as in the fly that Flytire posted, head cement or UV cure will work.

But for regular dry flies and nymphs, I do not use head cement at all. I learned this from a guide and fly tying friend who guides in Montana. He sells flies and does not use head cement. He believes it wastes time. What he does is guarantee that his flies will not unwind because he uses a 4 to 5 turn whip finish. If the whip finish comes apart before the fly itself is used up, he gives the customer a dozen more flies.

Modern polypro and nylon tying threads are much stronger and abrasion resistant than the silk thread that used to be used years ago.

I suggest you tie some flies without head cement and do your own experiment. I have not used head cement in 30 years on my standard dries or nymphs.

10 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

4 to 5 turn whip finish

+1. If I'm nervous, I do it twice. Slippery thread gets beeswax if I think too hard. It "only" took one ruined wood finish for me to weigh the pros and cons correctly.

16 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

If you "need" a shiny head as in the fly that Flytire posted

+1 And UV Thin is better for this than Flow. UV Flow seeps into your thread head like head cement.

Awesome info, thank you all so much for your help! Going to opt for the whip finishes for now and keep the misses happy