Fly Tying
Upstate

Popper top coats

I think the foil looks great. I was talking only of my opinion on glitter as a popper or any other lure or fly finish. 

All I can say if you can’t catch fish with glitter bugs you ain’t holding your mouth right...  Here’s a beat up one in the off side of my box that I recall using on a 5 wt for 2 trips where Game and Fish want small stunted bass removed @ 10 fish limit wavered.  When  the plankton blooms after fertilization gotta use a noisey popper to callem up.  Lately though been doing better with a foam diver/Cdad looker.

i don’t see where they’re any heavier.

KODA

947E45F7-8DB7-42DD-9829-D2BC00CB442A.jpeg

37921BAD-9859-4783-A361-4C9C1C907911.png

93CB6CF2-B84A-46F4-BF0E-AA9AFF2B8DC4.png

3F4A1C9C-DC41-4C94-9E1E-0827340130E4.jpeg

I don’t tie or fish poppers, so my interest in this thread didn’t really get tweaked until two things said above got me thinking. 1) the idea that the coat and sprinkle method for using glitter is messy is true but there is an alternative.  2) the idea that UV resins are not durable as a popper coating left me skeptical.

I’ve pretty much abandoned the use of fly-tying branded UV resins as too expensive and inconsistent in performance.  With the exception of a small bottle of Deer Creek Fine I use to seal monofilament thread wraps, all I use is standard, run of the mill, hard jewelry UV resin.  Significantly cheaper:  Loon 2oz $60 msrp.  Run of the mill hard jewelry UV resin 3.7 oz $13.99 amazon.   The jewelry resin cures fast and hard without residue and bonds strongly with multiple coats.  The availability of inexpensive pigments and ultrafine glitter powder provide almost infinite opportunity for creative use of UV resin.

On the matter of the messy coat/sprinkle glitter method, ultrafine glitter powder can be mixed directly into the UV resin without affecting the cure.  UV jewelry resin will maintain viability in an open mixing container for at least a week (unlike 2 part epoxy), so one batch of glitter or pigment infused resin can be used repeatedly over a matter of days without any issues.  (Obviously, you must avoid accidently exposing the open mixing container with UV light.)

On the matter of durability, hard type UV jewelry resin is pretty much bullet proof if cured properly, even in thin coats.  When you add the ultrafine glitter it acts as an aggregate similar to sand or gravel in concrete which strengthens the coating even more.  Seal with a coat of Sally Hansen to enhance brilliance and you have a rock solid coating.

Back in November, six straight days of Florida flats fishing saw the same UV resin coated flies catch multiple Spanish Mackerel without any damage to the fly coating.  I am always skeptical about claims that UV resins on flies aren’t durable.  If applied and CURED properly, they are hard to beat.

As I said, no poppers here, but I have been tying a few redfish spoon flies for an upcoming trip to Florida.  Here’s a couple that use the UV resin and glitter technique.

BZN70985.thumb.JPG.e7e6802e7dcb63b2147528356a4fb4e2.JPG

BZN70984.thumb.JPG.81f673a8d7673a0128eac505cb0e87ff.JPG

BZN70982.thumb.JPG.3e234951c5d373d23a354b2d9bfc80c1.JPG

BZN70986.thumb.JPG.3f20eae28e2a0a4793a5c4ab090e434f.JPG

BZN70983.thumb.JPG.d96b3e95a08812fde1b02e79a6f5f2b0.JPG

For sparkle or glow or whatever, I have used Mylar Christmas tree tinsel or chewing gum wrapper over a white woolly bugger. Caught my biggest brown trout on one with tinsel. This imitates the blue back herring that come through the generators at Reliance, TN about this time of year.

3 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Where are the aliens that go with those spacecraft!?  Nice ties!

Kim

Thanks, I thought they looked a bit like baby Manta Rays.  🤪

9 hours ago, mikemac1 said:

.  Run of the mill hard jewelry UV resin 3.7 oz $13.99 amazon.

Great tip.  Thanks.  My spoons are plastic EasterEgg cut to shape and Solarez to thread wrapped hook bent to conform to shape.  I leave tabs fore and aft to tie to hooks to help durability.  No joy on fish yet but they wobble,  flutter, and cast nicely.   Careful around here; fly/lures are frowned on around this crowd.  

0766D3E2-9162-4328-B1BC-CE41F22894F9.png

79FA8ABF-F7FC-4ED4-A274-0BB5AF62D33B.png

54829C46-0E56-4BF9-865B-BEB1493F8A9A.png

39 minutes ago, denduke said:

Careful around here; fly/lures are frowned on around this crowd.  

“Once you see the boundaries of your environment, they are no longer the boundaries of your environment.” 
 Marshall McLuhan

The fist fly I ever "tied" was made from the bottom of a soda can (this is in the early '70's!) attached to a gold Eagle Claw Aberdeen bait hook.  It had no fur/hair/feathers/thread/tying vice!  I am NOT one that frowns on "lures"!  I'm too old and ugly to be THAT particular!  I have never been mistaken for being a fly tying purist!

Kim

Oh, I still have a couple of those first ties.

13 hours ago, skeet3t said:

For sparkle or glow or whatever, I have used Mylar Christmas tree tinsel or chewing gum wrapper....

Funny you should mention that skeet.  I used silver ribbon for these heads.   Colored ones with sharpie, eyes and then  Solarez. And right prolly work just as good with plain heads...

Upstate, sorry about hijacking your post.   PM your addy and I’ll send you some of these bugs to eyeball and try.    smallmouth?

E17A2682-13CC-4F26-9F9F-0EA0115A09AE.png

3C24B8F4-9172-4290-9788-E27F621D752D.png

96BCA9EC-7C4F-4877-BCED-A0FC69160CB3.jpeg