Fly Tying
byhaugh

Fly Tying Vise Design

Hello,

I am a fly tying vise addict. I have approx. 25-30 different vises - nearly all are the premium ones. I am wondering if others would be interested in recommending their favorite make/model of the parts of a "dream vise"; i.e., Which vise has the best jaw; which vise has the best base; which vise has the best design of vise head; etc.

For example, I believe the best overall vise I have owned is the Law vise made by Lawrence Waldron, but I also really like the stem head of the Renzetti Master vise.

Thanks for your input.

Byron

Thinking of building a "Frankenvise"???

I'm toying with that idea myself (but am going to buy a Danvise before I tear any of my others apart!)

Cheers!

Gary

I have a couple of recommendations; Jaws with the holding power of an HMH and also the quick change jaws of the HMH. The ball bearing rotation like a Nor-Vise. The ability to change from C-clamp to movable base without needing a toolbox.

Hello guys;

I use a very plain simple cheap vice, but I was interested in having one built. I could buy one already made, but I like things that are made in North America. I make all sorts of things from scratch.

In tyour opinion what are some of the must have items on a vice?

Robin

T.M.S.

I'm a prototype cad designer/tool and die maker for 20 years and decided I could design and build a better vice than I could buy. I haven't yet! My vice is alpha level. My sons vice is smaller than mine.(a little bigger than a renzetti Traveler, beta level) The next level is still being worked on, but fishing season is upon us, so I won't have spare time to do much work on it.

BFR

I use a regal because I love resting my palm on that big base that holds the hook. I wish it spun like a nor vise however

Robert

There is an attachment a guy made in the '80's called "The Vise Device". It turned such vises into rotary vises. He and the maker of the Regal vise fought over it. The Regal Co. said they wouldn't honor the warranty if you used one on their vise. I have one and it works pretty well. You run into them once in a while.

Here's my dream vise:

-Easy hook loading & holding power (Regal)

-Full rotary (Renzetti)

-Adaptability to various tying styles (HMH)

-No jaw adjustment for a broad hook range, from #6/0 to #30

-Lots of clearance behind the hook

-Easily changeable from c-clamp to pedestal (or with a suction base like the Vosseler vise)

-Accessories like a bobbin rest, gallows & bead/hook/materials tray

-Included padded case for travel, especially one that has tool storage space

-Priced under $300

Ok, take all those great features and then add this. A clamp device that lets you clamp right over the point of the hook. Thus, as you wind on material or thread the point is covered by the vise. The bottom of the jaws could be angled so the thread will slide up over it. You would never snag a thread again or material. It would also make tying a lot faster.

Ted