Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skeet3t

Rod recommendation?

I was sorting out some things in my man cave. I ran across my father's ancient Penn reel. It's so old there is no level wind, casting brake, etc. It has a star drag, free spool lever and clicker. I want to clean it up and use it for catfish this year. The Tennessee River has some real big ones. My father used it for catfish about the time they were evolving from land to water. lol

What rod would you recommend for this? Not looking to spend a lot. FWIW, we have Bass Pro Shops, Sportsman's Warehouse and Academy Sports. I could also build one if the blank and components were reasonably priced. Thanks. I could build one for our anniversary. Wouldn't my wife be surprised!🤔

4 minutes ago, Chasing_Tails said:

What reel is it? Should be printed on the crank sideplate.

Sorry, it's a Penn 160. Spool is 2 inches diameter and arbor is 7/16 diameter. About 70+ years old. Noticed the retainer nut on the handle is cracked. Might have a time finding a replacement.

44 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Noticed the retainer nut on the handle is cracked

Lots of parts for the beachmaster still exist,  mysticparts.com they have the schematics online. I have a few of them myself, before you buy a parts reel (e-bay) let me know by schematic # and I'll look at what I have.  Post a picture I'll go to the shed and start looking. Beachmaster was my first and favorite surf casting reel on a 10 foot stick. Can't help you for cats but I would look at Ugly Sticks 7' heavy or extra heavy? for a inexpensive rod. check your drag washers newer ones are very nice made out of the same stuff the internationals use.

The reel is rated for 175yds of 30lb mono. Could up the capacity by going to 20lb and get 250yds, or go to braid which can increase your capacity significantly and have a stronger line. Depends on what you like to fish with. Some people like the stretch in mono (and cheaper price), others like the strength, small diameter, and sensitivity of braid.

Here is the schematic for the reel:

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Penn/Conventional/Penn 160.pdf

Is part 23 (23-60) the damaged part? If it is, here is a replacement if cphubert doesn't have it in stock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Penn-Screw-23-60-Fits-Multiple-Reels/184688129009?epid=1401901231&hash=item2b004533f1:g:7LsAAOSw~oFXFjby

Also, due to age I would recommend replacing the drag washers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Penn-Screw-23-60-Fits-Multiple-Reels/184688129009?epid=1401901231&hash=item2b004533f1:g:7LsAAOSw~oFXFjby

Old Penn reels are tanks. I used to be a reel mechanic in the early 2000's and still had 50 year old Penns come in that only needed minor servicing. If necessary get a good clean and grease on it and it will serve you well for years to come.

22 minutes ago, Chasing_Tails said:

Old Penn reels are tanks

I agree I have beachmaster that I bought when I was 12 or 13 still fishing. I have one of my grandfathers Penn 85 he used, all bake light with a few chips missing I use it for scup on occasion. 

Thanks for the schematic.

Part 23 is the part I need. Haven't taken the reel apart but the nut looks cracked through the metal.

Will look at the drag washers to see if they need replaced. Knew one fellow who had some made from Teflon.

Thanks to all for your replies.

29 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I agree I have beachmaster that I bought when I was 12 or 13 still fishing. I have one of my grandfathers Penn 85 he used, all bake light with a few chips missing I use it for scup on occasion. 

I always picked up older Penn's that just required a little TLC. Have a collection of 85's, 4/0H, 6/0H, 9/0, squidders, Long Beach 60's, and older SS spinning reels.

Sadly Penn was never the same after they sold off to overseas.

29 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Thanks for the schematic.

Part 23 is the part I need. Haven't taken the reel apart but the nut looks cracked through the metal.

Will look at the drag washers to see if they need replaced. Knew one fellow who had some made from Teflon.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Getting back to your rod choice, few questions:

Shore, boat, mix?

Prefer lighter tackle (20lb class) or heavy (30lb class)? Will depend on what line weight your going to go with.

Moving water or lake?

What weight sinkers are you planning on?

44 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Part 23 is the part I need

I should have one do you need a penn wrench? I'll check if I have extra's but things have been growing legs since my nephew started fishing (rather him fish then whatever else) I would replace the drag washers anyway look for HT100 washers ($5.00) or carbon fiber kit then you will have a nice reel.

1 hour ago, Chasing_Tails said:

Getting back to your rod choice, few questions:

Shore, boat, mix?

Prefer lighter tackle (20lb class) or heavy (30lb class)? Will depend on what line weight your going to go with.

Moving water or lake?

What weight sinkers are you planning on?

Shore, moving water, weight up to 3 ounces, 30 lb. Power Pro or good mono. Penn wrench? Improvise is my middle name.

"Sadly Penn was never the same after they sold off to overseas." That is true of a lot of things.

the lack of level wind systems and brakes has no bearing on age since reels can still be purchased without. Still very popular with surf fisherman because there is less to go wrong. However, thats s an old reel you got there. 

I can end your search for a rod with two words; Ugly stik. I would simply buy a 7' medium heavy GX2. 40 bucks! I use them for carp rods and they are also perfect for catfish. I think Ugly Stik also has a catfish series of rods that run about the same price. Before anybody laughs at an Ugly Stik I will tell you they are one of the finest and toughest rods ever made. They get a bad rep because of price but they are a fantastic rod and would pair nicely with your reel and be an excellent big cat combo. 

I like Ugly Sticks ... but they are a bit heavy for the line/lure range.  For that reason, and the fact that they're damn near unbreakable, I recommend getting one that's a little below the specification you would pick with other brands.

On the other hand, I'm not into making my fishing "harder".  I'd put that old reel on a shelf for display and use a modern reel with all the bells and whistles.

Good call on the ugly stik Mike, they do run a bit heavy. Personally, the lack of a level wind or magnets does not make it an inferior reel. Again, some guys actually prefer conventional reels without the level wind feature because they never fail. They also believe they cast farther and the drags are smoother. I'm like you though I prefer level wind so I cant speak to the casting and drag claims. I do know there is a cult following for a lack of level wind in the surf fishing community. Kind of like Bail-less spinning reels.