Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Finally Got OUt

Got a new job so no more midweek fishing for me. Finally got out to my favorite getaway ponds. The Bream are up in the shallows fanning out bads as are the Bass. Total for today was 16 Bream and 4 Bass. Man was it windy! I got a work out casting the 3 wt into the teeth of the wind.

A random sampling of todays catch

IMG-0900.jpg

IMG-0901.jpg

IMG-0902.jpg

IMG-0904.jpg

IMG-0905.jpg

I caught one that I didnt get a photo of (phone left in the truck) that had almost fanned its tail completely off and its belly was literally bulging with roe. The next two weeks are traditionally the first big spawn of the spring around here. Full moon is usually when we catch the largest Bream of the year. Week after next, a buddy and I are headed down East to fish the blackwater creeks. Cant wait!

Glad you got out.  Some nice fish there.  Is that a black bugger you're using?  I get out to the pond down the street @ once a week in the evening when I can.  Up here in Mass they haven't really moved in to the shallows yet, shouldn't be long now, though.  

The fly is kind of an adaptation of something I received in a swap. I use a #12 1270 curved nymph hook with a small black bead. I tie in a sprig of silver/green crystal flash, wrap the body with medium black chenille and tie in two white, round rubber legs in so they fan out over the back of the fly, then add a B/W grizzly hackle. The fish couldn't resist that fly yesterday. I have also tied them with an olive drab body color and the seem to work well too

Yeah ... that's a nice batch of catching!  I can't wait until I can spend a day fishing.  I went out Sunday morning and found out my battery was completely dead.  As the wind was picking up, and I couldn't start the engine to get out of it, I only got an hour of fishing.  Didn't catch anything.