Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wjoflyfishing

A thicker version of super hair/supreme hair?

Lately I’ve been interested in tying Charlie Cravens’s jujubaetis. I bought both the UV2 Super Hair and the Wapsi supreme hair to try it out. With both products, the segmentation I get on the finished fly is very subtle and because the strands are so fine (I’m using two strands of the main color and one strand of the accent color). Does anyone know of a similar material with a thicker diameter that I could try to get more pronounced segmentation?

Thanks in advance!

I've used Supreme Hair,  Super Hair and Ultra Hair for bait fish patterns.  They're all about the same diameter.  I haven't used EP Fibers because they seem to be too coarse, not sure if the diameter is any thicker than the other hairs.  One suggestion would be to twist the fibers together once you have them tied in and then wrap them, that should give you a more defined segmentation.  Another thing I've used for nymphs is a single strand of "sili legs"   These are size 12.

PA270807.JPG.885ab14dfcd4322ab6551851a2174c90.JPG

The only problem is that they're not as durable as the artificial hairs.  I put a coat of UV resin on them to prevent fish with teeth, like trout, from cutting through them.

For Charlie's Juju Baetis he doesn't attempt to get visible segmentation in form with the hair. He uses two colors to achieve the visual segmentation in color, not in form. I have tied that pattern using what you are using and it has worked out just as in Charlie's videos.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, Wjoflyfishing said:

Lately I’ve been interested in tying Charlie Cravens’s jujubaetis. I bought both the UV2 Super Hair and the Wapsi supreme hair to try it out. With both products, the segmentation I get on the finished fly is very subtle and because the strands are so fine (I’m using two strands of the main color and one strand of the accent color). Does anyone know of a similar material with a thicker diameter that I could try to get more pronounced segmentation?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the size your tying. You can use 6 strands, twist each pair then wrap 'em.