Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Trio of fiberglass rods

47 minutes ago, richmce said:

nice set of rods.  are fiberglass rods making a comeback?

They've been a lot more popular the past 5-10 years now than they were in the previous decade or so before that. Especially now that modern glass is lighter than the heavy rods of the 60's-80's.

Very nice.  I have an ancient South Bend Outdoorsman fiberglass rod I bought between 1959-1962. It's a D weight which is the equivalent to a 7 wt. now.

40 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

ancient South Bend Outdoorsman fiberglass rod

I think I have one of those.  Do you recall if yours is solid fiberglass?  I think mine is, but I don't remember, I'll have to dig it out and take a look.  

niveker, I don't think it is solid. I did have a solid baitcasting rod that was solid glass from around 1953. And...it was pink! Originally came with a knucklebuster casting reel. Put my first Zebco 33 on it and caught tons of fish on that outfit. Belonged to my ex-uncle. Can't remember what happened to it.🙁

Skeet, I just dug mine out. It's a 6.5 footer, lettering is mostly worn off, but pretty sure it was a 6wt, at least that's what I always used on it.  Also pretty sure it's solid fiberglass, yellow (not painted)  with brown wraps, and a black line painted above and below each set of wraps. If I remember, it was a nice dry fly rod, but casting fell apart after 30 feet or so. 

I remember the old solid glass baitcasters, mine were always a pearly white.  I'm sure my Dad still them down in the basement somewhere. 

Sorry to highjack the thread @Steeldrifter, those rods are pretty, they almost seem to glow.