Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fish

dealer drove my car into the wall

So this morning I took my car in to the dealer for an oil change, fix leak in power steering system and change brakes (Hyundai Elantra). They called me into the shop after about 2 hours saying there was a bit of bad luck. Turns out they banged the car into the bay doorframe when moving it - bad luck sounds like incompetence to me. The front right quarter panel needs to be replaced. The car has few marks on it and I have had it since new for 3 years and it is in good condition. They are going to replace it free of charge of course.

Should I be happy with that? Should I demand they pay for everything else done too, a break on a new car? What should somebody do in a situation like this. I am pissed because it is not the first time I have faced their incompetence - they put on my winter tires backwards in 2003 and with brake problems before they insisted they were fine (3 times) then Hyundai issued a brake saftey recall and I got the problem fixed.

Legally the will have to fix the damage they caused free of charge and supply you with a rental while it's being fixed. They are not bound by law to not charge you for the oil/brakes/fix the leak, but any shop that want's to keep you as a customer would throw that in for free......then again we're talkin about a dealership here so rolleyes.gif ive_been_ripped.gif

If it were here, yep... you should be happy with that. They are not legally bound to do anything more. Of course, to keep a customer I would think they would throw in some extras. If they don't, I think I'd find somewhere else to get my work done.....

Put your tires on backwards? OK...winter tread on some unidirectionals I can see how you can do that.... except for the arrow on the side that tells you which way. Hard to rotate those..... laugh.gif

Yeah, I guess I should be ok with that. They have lent me a car until they fix it and will pay for all damage they caused and are very apologetic. We will see what they do when the time comes for me to go collect - they might throw in something.

Yup, happened in Canada. Maybe they put the winter tires (unidirectional) on backwards because ass-end first seems to be the with the way things are going around here lately.

Skunked, yes it is a good question why do I go back? Well I only go for things that I know the local garage can't do like brakes because the parts are likely to throw them off - oil and power steering now beause I had to get the brakes done so I got it all done at once.

only in canada can they install winter tires backwards !, and still do, why, and how??, its the same concept as tim hortons.....if thats what you do, as in sling coffee, youd think youd be good at it !

Hey Fish - I spend my entire life experiencing things going wrong like that. I gotto say to you, shit happens. When humans are involved, human errors will occur, sometimes more often than not. I know it sounds bad, what happened to you and all, and I know I would be really pissed off too. What I would do then depends on their attitude. If they were really reasonable and genuine and said "Sorry" and so on, I guess I would be happy with a repair of the damage. If they were contrary, or "smug," or blamed somebody else, I'd go for all I could get.

I was having a conversation this week with a litigation lawyer about this very type of thing, and the common reason people sue is usually not for the compensation but because the firm didn't say "Sorry." Simple as that. Depends on the attitude.

They don't have to, but I would think out of good faith, you'd get some coupon's for future service, at least. Or employee rate for the service they provided.

The only reson things like these happen in Canada, is because Jimmy The Hammer Shapiro is an Americian. wallbash.gif

In my opionion fish, I would get this little incedent delt with, then not go back to these guys.. accidents happen, but 3 strikes your out.. cheers.gif

That's rought--If you can try to find a new place to go. This stuff happens but it shouldn't happen everytime you interact with the dealer

So I got my car last week, no deals offered. I do realize these things will happen so I am just getting on with it. 3 strike rule applies. Next closest dealer in 40 km away (though this one in 30 km anyway), I am going to do as much I can at the local garage and hopefully that is all that will be required for a couple of years. Thinking about selling the car at the end of the summer. Will not buy another Hyundai even though I think they are decent cars. The dealer just turned me right off. We have a good Mazda dealer here (voted best in Canada a few years ago) so maybe that will be the next car. Thinking of a Dodge minivan though (second kid on the way) I am not sure about the local dealer though.

Its a bummer that the dealship turns you off from the manufacturer you like but if you don't get good service with the car there is nothing you can do.

Personally, if the dealer didn't handle the problem satisfactorily, I'd contact the manufacturer. They should know how their dealers are affecting their reputation, and $h!t rolls downhill. Who knows, you might get something out of it, if only an apology.