Fly Tying

Ole fashioned bass flies

Is fly tying becoming a sub forum over here in this joint....no categories 😏   Lotta duck feathers in these, sportsfans...  Working on the second set.

BB6ADE23-AED8-4018-ABF5-CCCBE2E21A2B.jpeg

i bought these a while back with the intention of trying to tie something similar

Old-Bass-Bugs.jpg

i think the bodies are made of cork but i dont want to buy 1000 of them just to tie a few

Got the idea from vintage stuff at BPS visit.  Looks like my original vice, ‘63,  but I had a nifty bobbin.  

5A75279F-B788-420D-BA9F-821B09A3AF86.jpeg

0BD82D77-AB1D-4C76-921B-1939350AD318.jpeg

flytire, I have one just like the black one.  Not sure where I got it.  Somewhere, I have a foam body that I made to imitate it.  One of these days I'll finish it.

Denduke, nice flies.  Do you plan to fish them?

Prolly not but they do look fishy.  My Dede’s wall already with first batch.      Poman’s ParmacheneBell  

5A87C5B3-9AA9-4FC3-BEAB-09CADC1E6101.jpeg

38F041D9-D4C6-4640-9BE6-582B88249787.jpeg

Good thread - nice flies Denduke.  I like that black one with the turkey breast feather in your first photo.

You gotta tie at least one of those on the end of a line.  

On 8/16/2022 at 12:15 PM, flytire said:

i bought these a while back

I really like the primitive look of those.  I don't actively collect old flies, but do occasionally come across them at yard sales and such, grouped in with a bunch of old fishing stuff.  I'd love to come across some of these.  I used to save wine corks back in my food & beverage days, I may still have a container of them down beneath my workbench.  If you want I'd be happy to send some to you if I can find them  

I was lucky enough to score a bunch of old Tuttle Devil Bugs a few years back, probably got close to 2 dozen ranging in size from @ 8 or 10 to 2/0.  Looks like a heck of a lot of work to tie and paint them.  

Here's one:  

IMG-20220819-093441.jpg

IMG-20220819-093451.jpg

IMG-20220819-093459a.jpg

Debduke, I have some of the curly Drake tail feathers if you want a few.  I have seen some old bass flies in pictures with them.  Send me a PM if you want them, or anyone else, for that matter.

The only time I’ve used the curly tail is on a foam duckling.  Lotta good feathers on mallards though.  Need some more Woody tipped breast; seems I got plenty left but very few right sides.  Nice lil string for flytying; Drake Woody, Mallard, GreenWing Teal.   Most times put the curly tails and Sprigs in hunting hat as trophy for awhile.   Tried some turkey breast. Found some Pintail too.  Thanks for the offer though.   BTW,  How’s Oregon politics and a M’isipi boy working out?  Don’t answer that question!!!🤔

9448CABC-2598-4996-B146-287B370F2E74.jpeg

2028D75C-93DA-444B-8876-C1EF25A336BC.jpeg

B9CC9828-3E8A-4EC8-8585-6B383BFAAE9D.jpeg

On 8/20/2022 at 8:47 AM, DarrellP said:

@Flytire, You can buy corks individually at hardware stores

i'll take a look the next i go to the big box orange and blue hardware stores