Fly Tying
vicrider

Swapmeisters and Swappers

This link is the best information I've seen in one place for people wanting to swap or run swaps. It is one the blog of one of our premier fly tyers Flytire himself and gives swap information we all can benefit from.

https://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/search?q=fly+swaps

In addition, all swappers wanting to become swapmeisters, must have participated in a minimum of 3 fly swaps.

Swapmeisters should complete one fly swap before starting another one. No running multiple fly swaps at once.

It’s sad, but I don’t see new tying members to this Fly Tying Forum. 
I enjoy the tying group and flies we have shared over the years 

Once upon a time this site was sponsored by J. Stockard. I don't know why that ended. Since the web provider was changed a lot of features that would attract new tyers are gone. Probably the biggest loss was the fly pattern data base. Thousands of fly patterns, with recipes that you could scan by member. Also gone are the Forums for posting trout flies, salmon steelhead flies, which would them be added to the data base. Being able to go to back pages is now impossible if there are more than 5. You used to be able to see who was online at the bottom of the page. You could look them up and see what, if anything, they were posting.  I know the original administrators of this site have lost interest, which is why they changed to a cheaper provide which has not done us any favors.

I so miss the days 10 to 15 years ago, when there were several new swaps every week. In those days most swaps would fill the same day they were posted. I just love swapping flies, but postage costs keep going up, they priced our international swappers out of the Forum completely. We used to have so many Canadian members whose flies I miss.

Tight Lines my friends

Fishin' Bob 🎣😎

On postage, going to Pirate Ship does help and does save a couple bucks on outgoing and return but it is still high like everything else. What does help is if a swap fills completely like they all used to and then you'd at least get a dozen flies to use or at least admire. Now too often a swap doesn't fill and sending two flies does help but everything you'll stating in there Fishing' Bob is about hits the nail on the head. Lots of things in the world are changing and it looks like this site is one of them. Personally, I have seen first hand on the Christmas Fly Box swap how things have gone downhill in both participation and shows of appreciation. The overall quality and quantity of flies has come up but interest just doesn't seem the same. I think that the last year's swap will be last to undertake this but will have to see how it goes before I decide completely.

while pirate ship is a bit cheaper the usps it still costs about $8.30 or more both ways and depending on distance

i limit my swapping to just a couple of swapmeisters and one i will not swap with

all of the deleted forums and deleted fly pattern database is still available for viewing only on the "wayback machine" website. 

i think we're lucky to have what we have

Folks, I do enjoy the forum and most of the flys that have been posted.  It has encouraged me to climb out of my comfort zone and tie flys that I would not have considered.  I am currently reading up on, and trying flys with matched wings.  The swap instructions are first rate, and have used them for local swaps for our fishing club.  Anyway, I am glad the group is here on the inter web.  Thanks

I really enjoy this site and the members, new and old.  I appreciate and enjoy checking out all the flies that are posted, by both newcomers and the experienced master tyers we have here.

I've come to realized each tyer has their own style that goes into a fly. And I like being able to differentiate and recognize the tying style of different members, which has given me confidence to develop and tie in my own style.

I really enjoy when a new tyer joins, asks questions, gets positive support, and posts their improving ties like John1962, or when a new member approaches the hobby from a whole different perspective, like LisaLou.  That's the best. 

And of course, there's the swaps, I love them. Probably my favorite thing. If I had more time I'd sign up for more of them. For the life of me I don't understand why some members don't participate in a swap or two.  

I wasn't active on the site 'back in the good old days', but I agree with Norm

12 hours ago, flytire said:

I think we're lucky to have what we have

--

Kev

17 hours ago, fishingbobnelson said:

Once upon a time this site was sponsored by J. Stockard. I don't know why that ended. Since the web provider was changed a lot of features that would attract new tyers are gone. Probably the biggest loss was the fly pattern data base. Thousands of fly patterns, with recipes that you could scan by member. Also gone are the Forums for posting trout flies, salmon steelhead flies, which would them be added to the data base. Being able to go to back pages is now impossible if there are more than 5. You used to be able to see who was online at the bottom of the page. You could look them up and see what, if anything, they were posting.  I know the original administrators of this site have lost interest, which is why they changed to a cheaper provide which has not done us any favors.

I so miss the days 10 to 15 years ago, when there were several new swaps every week. In those days most swaps would fill the same day they were posted. I just love swapping flies, but postage costs keep going up, they priced our international swappers out of the Forum completely. We used to have so many Canadian members whose flies I miss.

Tight Lines my friends

Fishin' Bob 🎣😎

I remember the tying patterns and Green Caddis