Fly Tying
cencalfly

Error 508 - Resource Limit Reached

I'm getting this error code often.  After several tries I'm usually able to get on.  Got it twice so far trying to post this comment.

yup

more than a dozen times for me

nothing moderators can do

its the website owners problem

i wish i had a dollar for every time i received the 508 error. i could supplement my social security 😀

Yes, that can be frustrating.  Not sure it's a sign of the site failing, more likely just not as well maintained as it could be, through no fault of the good moderators we have.   

I'm not a software guy so I don't know the ins & outs of these sort of problems, but if I am not mistaken I believe that is a server issue (host company) and not a "site/Will" issue. I believe that error pops up when there is too much traffic on the sites server doing things and the server gets overloaded, because host companies host hundreds of websites on each server. So with this time of year and people off work etc etc I am going to wager a bet the servers on many websites are being taxed pretty hard with users.

1 hour ago, flytire said:

seems like the forum may no longer be constipated and is beginning to run smoother 😀😀

Yay - it does look like it's running again. Still many site navigation problems though. 

Is there a way someone can reach out to the owner and open some sort of dialog?  See if there is anything that could be done to assist with what is essentially a public service.  I'm no expert either so I can only imagine the sink of time and money running something like this must be.  Maybe there is a solution, short of throwing money at it, that can be implemented.    Maybe the interested parties should throw money at it.  I don't know.  Hence some sort of dialog.  It would be a shame if the site goes away.  People will stop coming here because of the difficulty of trying to participate.   

This site is and has been a great service.  Will should be proud of it.  I don't know of a better way for people with shared interest to interact.  Not Facebook or any other social media allows for the type of interaction we see here.  At least that I know of.  I don't want to over reach it's just my $.02.

4 hours ago, flytire said:

yup

but you did get on to write your post. your lucky

it took me 6 tries to write this post

I had the forum on two windows and trying to reply on both so it actually took 9 tries, 4 on one the 5 on the other window which finally worked!!!

I deal with this type of "Host & Hosting" problem often in the corporate WAN environment .. it is likely due to limited resources (bandwidth) and peak traffic times at any point between the hosting server,  network and the routing of clients from many different carriers..   Those that have the shortest route to the host will always get the best service. One trick is to run your browser in "incognito" mode to reduce the  "tracking" function of most browsers.  There is so much "security" always running in the background of any well protected computer and network that there is very little resource left in the average "internet connected device" to do the work you need to get done.  At the desktop computer level 16GB of memory is the minimum and installing a SSD (solid state drive) in place of the typically mechanical hard drive brings the average computer up to a point where it runs well, anything less and the wait time goes up as does user frustration.  Smart phones are little more than high priced computers on a cellular network where the speed varies greatly and cost of data is highest.  This is the "free puppy" way of doing business...